Planning a big trip the Big Apple, or maybe just craving some sweet treats and don't know where to start? Well, I am here to help!  Growing up in NYC, I know the ins and outs of the city, and the best spots to indulge your sweet tooth. 

If a delicious cupcake is what you desire, let me break down (in my opinion) some of the most popular spots in the city, and how good they really are. 

I decided to judge these cupcakes on three categories out of five: presentation, moistness, and flavor. In the end I will declare the ultimate vanilla cupcake in NYC for everyone to enjoy! 

Billy's Bakery 

410 Columbus Ave. (multiple locations in NYC available)

Lila Redler

Presentation: 3 out of 5. Plain, simple, and cute! The overall presentation was a little messy, but if intricate decorations aren't your things, this cupcake is perfect!

Moistness: 4 out of 5. Very moist and delicious! Exactly what you would expect of a traditional vanilla cupcake. Nothing too special, but very enjoyable.

Flavor: 3 out of 5. Even though vanilla cupcakes in general are relatively simple, this cupcake was a little boring. The main flavor you get is from the frosting, which was a very nice buttercream. The physical cake surprisingly lacked some of the vanilla flavor you would expect. However, If simple and classic vanilla is for you, this is a great choice! 

Extra info: The frosting was unbelievably soft and creamy! However, it was a little gritty, which threw me off at first. If you eat the cake a frosting separately, it is nothing to write home about. Combined in one delicious bite is the way to go! 

Little Cupcake Bakeshop

30 Prince St. (multiple locations in NYC available)

Lila Redler

Presentation: 2 out of 5. This was the plainest presentation of the bunch. White frosting, minimal sprinkles. It seems as if they maybe were rushing while decorating and just missed while putting the sprinkles on. 

Moistness: 5 out of 5. Absolutely delicious! It was like biting into a cloud, extremely moist. 

Flavor: 4 out of 5. Right off the bat this cupcake had a very good punch of vanilla. Perfectly balanced, the flavor was not too powerful or artificial. While the flavor of most vanilla cupcakes can be described as boring, Little Cupcake Bakeshop breaks that stereotype for sure! 

Extra info: The frosting was pretty sweet, so if that isn't your thing I would choose a different option. Also, while the cupcake was extraordinarily moist and delicious, it was a little bit dense. All things to consider when choosing your perfect cupcake! 

Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery

126 Rivington St.

Lila Redler

Please disregard the messiness of the cupcake, this occurred during transportation. 

Presentation: 3 out of 5. Disregarding the mess from transportation, this was a cute cupcake! Simple, colorful, and fun. 

Moistness: 5 out of 5. Very similar to Little Cupcake Bakeshop in moistness. Immediately when you bite into the cupcake, the decadence and deliciousness screams "wow!" in your mouth. Almost like biting into air! 

Flavor: 2 out of 5. Being totally honest, this cupcake didn't have too much flavor. Rather than being vanilla flavored, to me it seemed just more general cake with not much flavor. 

Extra info: The frosting on this cupcake, which I believe to be buttercream, is a little different compared to other buttercream. The flavor was a little odd, so it threw me off a bit. 

Buttercup Bake Shop

973 2nd Ave. (multiple locations in NYC available)

Lila Redler

Presentation: 5 out of 5. Even though it is quite simple, this is the cleanest presentation, coupled with being colorful and very aesthetic! 

Moistness: 4 out of 5. The cake is very springy and light. Extremely enjoyable biting into it! Although not on the same level as Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery or Little Cupcake Bakeshop, still very good quality! 

Flavor: 2 out of 5. The frosting is very artificial tasting. I believe it's the result of the sweetener they used, which left a strange aftertaste. 

Extra info: While this cupcake does look amazing, it's not the best choice flavor-wise.

Sprinkles Cupcakes 

780 Lexington Ave. (multiple locations available nationwide!

Lila Redler

Presentation: 3 out of 5. It is very neat, however, it could use some color. The sprinkles are a nice touch; however, the crunchiness of the sprinkle takes away from the texture of the cake. 

Moistness: 3 out of 5. The cake itself is delicious, however, compared to some of the other amazing cupcakes in this lineup it is the densest of all. Still pleasant to eat, but not like biting in a cloud. 

Flavor: 3 out of 5. Honestly, this cupcake overall was pretty boring. There wasn't much flavor, however there definitely were hints of vanilla, but those hints are more of an aftertaste. 

Extra info: Because Sprinkles Cupcakes is one of my favorite cupcake spots in the city, this experience disappointed me. I have had much better experiences at Sprinkles Cupcakes in the past, so I definitely wouldn't rule it out of you wanted to try it. Perhaps vanilla just isn't the way to go. I know they have an absolutely amazing red velvet cupcake! 

Now, what you've all being waiting for! The winner is....... 

Little Cupcake Bakeshop!

What this cupcake lacked in decorations it completely made up for in flavor and moistness. I would go back any time, and highly recommend you give it a try as well! 

Lila Redler

Extra Recommendations!

Georgetown Cupcake - 111 Mercer St. (locations available nationwide)

Molly's Cupcakes - 228 Bleecker St. (locations available nationwide)

Two Little Red Hens - 1652 2nd Ave.