City Market is one of the most commonly identifiable establishments in the Burlington area. Their two locations, one on S. Winooski (Downtown) and the other on Flynn Ave. (South End), offer a fresh array of local produce, baked goods, and sandwich bars. But have you ever been asked to be a member of the co-op at check-out? Here's why you should consider becoming a member of the City Market Co-Op the next time you shop there!

1. Volunteering at local community organizations gives you an opportunity to receive a discount at the co-op. 

You can choose to work 2-hrs or 4-hrs a month to receive a discount at City Market. I've volunteered with Feeding Chittenden, a food-shelf downtown, and received a 15% discount off my purchases at the co-op. Other partner organizations include Food Not Bombs VT, COTS, AgeWell, and alike. You can only receive these discounts if you become a member of the co-op and pay your "equity" share every year. 

2. You have the opportunity to purchase more locally-sourced goods at City Market than at your traditional grocery store. 

Adams Berry Farm, the Intervale Community Farm, Diggers' Mirth, and Maple Wind Farm are four of the many purveyors who sell to City Market. I love being able to support my local farms and businesses through my grocer. 

3. City Market supports the local community by providing jobs and outreach to other community organizations. 

City Market seems to be everywhere- that's because community is a big part of their mission! Many UVM students work at City Market and help out during their events. For example, shoppers can choose to "Rally for Change" at the end of their purchase and donate to-the-nearest-dollar for a community organization! 

4. You can receive discounts at local businesses if you mention you're a City Market member. 

Many people don't know that if you are a City Market member, you can get discounts at many area restaurants and businesses. When you check out at local businesses, ask if they do City Market member discounts (even if they don't- they might do it in the future)! 

City Market also offers some in-store deals for members, like on coffee refills. 

5. City Market is a democratic institution that aims to put profits into the hands of the community rather than in the hands of corporations. 

Did you know the board of City Market is elected every term? It's true! As a member, you have the opportunity to vote for the people you want to represent your co-op (and your values). 

Want to become a City Market member? Check out their website for more information.