When a restaurant only serves one dish, there is a reasonable expectation for it to be exceptional. That is certainly the case with The Meatball Shop, and it looks to be the case with Lower East Side newcomer Taquitoria. Opened by three friends who previously worked at Restaurant Marc Forgione, this unassuming shop specializes in San Diego style taquitos. Although the menu is short, it is sure to satisfy any college student’s stomach and wallet.

Photo by Caty Schnack

Rather than trying to make something fancy out of a traditional finger food, Taquitoria’s owners keep it simple with a choice of four fillings – beef, chicken (marinated in Marc Forgione’s signature Bloody Mary mix), pork and black bean.  They also offer two styles — the “Classic” with guac sauce, shredded lettuce and cotija cheese and the “Cheesy” with nacho cheese, sour cream and pickled jalapeño relish. While the selection is not extensive, there is sure to be a combination that suits every taste.

Of the possible flavor combos, the owners highly recommend ordering the “Cheesy” black bean and  “Classic” chicken. While definitely not waistline friendly, the deep-fried “Cheesy” style taquitos are very satisfying and certainly live up to the name. Although the “Classic” taquitos are still deep-fried, they make for a satisfying lighter option and taste delectable when dipped into the side of special hot sauce.

Photo by Caty Schnack

Although Taquitoria doesn’t serve or deliver before 4 pm, the owners plan to extend their hours and offer delivery service soon. As of now, their plan is to open from noon until 2am during the week and from noon until 4 am on the weekend — perfect for the college student’s unpredictable schedule. Additionally, the owners emphasize that they will “definitely be delivering to the NYU area” when delivery is available, and they will soon offer a Sunday “Buffalo Chicken” taquito special where packages of 40 can be purchased or delivered before the 1 pm, 4 pm or 8 pm NFL game.

With great food and very reasonable prices — 3 for $5 and 5 for $8 — Taquitoria is the perfect place for college students to grab a quick afternoon or late night snack. If these deals aren’t enough for you, the shop also sells each taquito in boxes of 40 – perfect for any party or a shameless night of solo binge eating.

Photo by Caty Schnack

cheap

Location: 168 Ludlow St (bet Houston and Stanton)
Hours of Operation: Tue-Thu: noon to 2am, Fri-Sat: noon to 4:30am; Sunday: 12pm to TWRO (till we run out)