If you’ve walked along West 4th Street this semester, chances are you’ve noticed the brand new Bröd Kitchen, a Nordic inspired casual café for breakfast, coffee, sandwiches and more. We got to attend their official opening party to sample their menu and it’s become our new favorite spot on campus. If you haven’t been to Bröd, it’s about time that you go on over and check out what they’re dishing up.

brod

Photo courtesy of Bröd Kitchen

The name “Bröd” (pronounced ‘bro-d’, rhymes with road) comes from the word smørrebrød, which is the café’s signature menu item. The smørrebrød a traditional open faced Danish sandwich on homemade rye bread with wide range of toppings, including smoked salmon, egg salad, roast beef with horseradish mayonnaise. Each ‘brød is between $2-$4, so have just one of them (if you can) for an afternoon snack, or try two or three and make it a lunch.

The menu doesn’t stop there, though. Bröd offers a huge selection of made-to-order breakfast items, pastries, coffee, sandwiches, salads, burgers, and even wood-fired pizza. At the opening party last week, I got to speak with Bröd’s creative director Monette, who says that she’s most excited for people to try the Nordic meatballs – think spicy Italian sausage meets creamy Swedish meatballs.

brod

Photo courtesy of Bröd Kitchen

The refreshing thing about Bröd is that it offers high quality, gourmet food that’s also quick and convenient. Bröd puts a lot of emphasis on using fresh, high quality ingredients that are as local and sustainable as possible. Quick, delicious, and healthy? How could you resist?

#SpoonTip: You can’t.