Although I am not originally from New Orleans, I am no stranger to a seasonal drink craze. Whether it be a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks or a McDonald's Shamrock Shake, chain restaurants love bringing out new flavors for the holidays.  When I saw that PJ's Coffee released a new King Cake Latte for Mardi Gras, I knew I had to try it.

What is King Cake?

King cake is a dessert commonly seen during Mardi Gras. It is made of a brioche dough and can be flavored with cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate, or cream cheese. 

PJ's describes their latte as containing "flavors of cinnamon & vanilla." So, I ordered it. As the drink was handed to me it looked like a regular iced latte, nothing special. 

Nicky Brown

The Verdict 

When I took my first sip, I wasn't sure what I was drinking. I could vaguely taste the cinnamon, but I wasn't getting any vanilla. However, after taking a few more sips, I could tell that there were some drops of vanilla flavoring.

Personally, I did not think that the flavors in the latte complemented each other well. It was very sweet, and the mixture of cinnamon and vanilla did not blend as well as I had hoped.

However, I must acknowledge my bias as I am not a huge fan of flavored coffee. I like vanilla lattes, but I usually keep things pretty simple when ordering coffee. Thus, if you are on the fence about trying the King Cake Latte, try it!

I am glad I tried the new King Cake Latte from PJ's, however, I do not think I will be ordering it again. Check the drink out on PJ's website here.