It’s here. After months of anticipation, Whole Foods-Knoxville finally opened last week. If you’ve never been to a Whole Foods, it’s definitely overwhelming. If you have been to a Whole Foods, you know how close the health food store is to heaven.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

To help you navigate this new terrain, here’s your definitive guide to the wonderful world that is Whole Foods.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

First, Whole Foods has a truly impressive array of organic, local, vegetarian and vegan grocery options. While some items can be more expensive like coffee, juice and certain meats, it’s great for produce and picking up Cruze Farms milk. 

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

Whole Foods also has the 365 brand, which is their generic product line, as well as plenty of bulk items. Both options cut down on price, making it easier to shop there on a college budget.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

Then, there’s the ready-to-eat food options. Grab-and-go sandwiches and salads, a full salad bar, an olive bar, miles (obvious exaggeration) of hot bar options, gelato and the most beautiful pastry case known to man.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

There’s also a Chinese food station, similar to Panda Express but better, and a growler filling station.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

And don’t forget about the sandwich station, pizza station, biscuit station, bakery, coffee/smoothie bar and a pizza restaurant with a bar called The Rocky.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

At first, it’s all way too overwhelming. Then, you realize the culinary world is at your fingertips. I recommend picking up a smoked pulled pork biscuit with collared greens slaw and housemade pickles for lunch followed by an Allegro cold brew coffee.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

(As a self-proclaimed coffee connoisseur, the Allegro coffee Whole Foods sells easily trumps anything you’ll get at Starbucks. Plus, cold brew is way fresher than iced coffee.)

But the most impressive, cool amenity at Whole Foods is the fresh squeezed orange juice machine. You grab a glass bottle, and it juices fresh oranges right before your eyes.

whole foods

Photo by Bailey Culpepper

All in all, it’s clearly a lot to take in, but Whole Foods can be your one stop shop if you plan it out right. Or it’s a place to treat yourself after a long week of class. Either way, take the trip to explore the vast land that is Whole Foods.

Check out these other Whole Foods articles: