The weekend is finally here, which means it’s time to get pumped for Harvard-Yale. To make this weekend even better, we’ve decided to provide you with some tips for what to do and where to eat and tailgate.

Weekend and Game Day Essentials

Friday – Do’s and Don’ts:

DO celebrate the past weeks of midterms, papers and projects finally ending. You’ve made it to break, congratulations! Be ready to kick off your break with this fun filled weekend.

Harvard-Yale

GIF Courtesy of Giphy.com

DON’T go to hard and drink too much the night before The Game. Yes, you will probably have fun, but you will most likely be hungover or exhausted on game day, which is not enjoyable and will prevent you from fully taking part in this all day event.

Harvard-Yale

GIF Courtesy of Giphy.com

Instead, why not check out some of the joint Harvard-Yale a Cappella, comedy and dance shows that are sure to be amazing. Here are some of the many options you can attend:

• The New Blue, Spizzwinks + Harvard Callbacks and VoxJaz Sing Without Instruments: At 7:30PM in Linsly-Chittenden Hall (LC) 102
  • Out of the Society of Something Veritone – A Cappella Concert by SOBs, SE and OOTB + Veritones: At 8PM in Calhoun College’s Cabaret
  • Harvard Yale Dance Off featuring Rhythmic Blue and Expressions Dance Company: At 8PM in the Off Broadway Theater
  • Harvard Lowkeys and Mixed Company of Yale Present a Joint Concert/Performance with the Fifth Humor of Yale: At 8:30PM in Saybrook Underbrook
  • The Purple Crayon and the Immediate Gratification Players Present: Improve Show: From 9PM-10PM in Linsly-Chittenden Hall (LC) 211

If you do insist on a partying (I mean a little bit can’t hurt, right?)…

Harvard-Yale

GIF Courtesy of Giphy.com

Here are a few options:

• Yale Harvard Party presented by YCC:  The party will be held in Commons from 10:30PM-2:00AM and will be featuring DJ Swizzymack and Wes Walker, as well as two student DJs from Yale and one from Harvard. Admission is free for everyone. And there will be food.
  • Harvard vs. Yale at Toad’s: “It’s not just a party. It’s tradition.” Doors open at 9:30PM. From 9:30PM – 10PM, there is a “Crimson” Drink special. From 11:30PM – 12AM, there is a School Cheering Contest. Only for Yale/Harvard students, alumni and their guests. Prices are $10 for 21+ and $15 for 19+.

Game Day – Things to Know

Brunch
All dining halls will serve brunch from 8:30 am to 12 pm. Yes, you read that correctly: 8:30 am. Meals for Yale students will be covered by the meal plan. If you are not on a meal plan or are from Harvard, you just need to present your student ID card to be admitted.

Harvard-Yale

Photo by Kristina Kim

Transportation
Free shuttle buses, with pickups at Payne Whitney Gym, Phelps Gate, and at the corner of Chapel and College Streets, run to the bowl and back every 15 minutes from 10AM until 8PM.

Spoon Tip: The lines will be long so make sure you give yourself plenty of leeway. 

Pre-Tailgates on Campus

If you just can’t wait until you get to the Yale Bowl, here are some Pre-Tailgate events happening on campus:

• Grad and Professional Student Yale Harvard Pre Tailgate: From 8:30 am-11 am at the Becton Center. They will have McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, beer and mimosas. Must be 21+ w/ valid ID to drink. Must bring Yale ID and gov ID.
  • YXA Tailgate: From 11:15AM-1:30PM on Old Campus. There will be free food (hamburgers; hot dogs; vegetarian options), free face-painting and raffles.
Harvard-Yale

Photo by Drew Glaeser

The food may not look this good, but a girl can dream, right?

Spoon Tip: Check to see if your residential college is hosting a pre-tailgate event. 

Tailgates at the Yale Bowl

Kickoff the festivities (or keep them rolling if you started earlier) by tailgating at the Bowl. Join the Yale affiliated tailgate or have your own in the designated tailgating area – Lot D. Whatever you choose, it will definitely get you fired up for the game! Here are some events we know about:

• Kings and Queens hosted Harvard-Yale Tailgate: 10AM at the Yale Bowl (Lot D)
Harvard-Yale

Photo courtesy of Yale University

• YCC Tailgate at Yale Bowl from 11:30 am-2:30 pm. They will have cider, beer and franzia available.
  • Student Tailgates from 11 am-2:30 pm: The Student Tailgate Area will have tailgates from many of the residential colleges and the professional schools as well as from some Harvard houses.
  • Yale Dining will set up food tents inside the tailgate to provide lunch.  Students who show a Yale or Harvard ID will be welcome to eat. Students 21+ will be allowed to bring in cans of beer and boxed wine.
Harvard-Yale

Photo Courtesy of Yale University

Best Post-Game Meals and Deals

Tavern New Haven

We all know New Haven is known for its pizza or apizza, the local version of this amazing food. I mean there was even a whole feast dedicated to apizza! Pepe’s will definitely be way too crowded, so why not check out some of New Haven’s other wonderful places, especially when there is a deal to be had.

Tavern New Haven is a great place for groups to come and enjoy a few pies and pints. This weekend they will even be having a specialty “Yale” pizza and a 25% off discount for anyone with a Harvard-Yale ticket.

How could you say no to this?

Meat & Co

Looking for a great sandwich? Head to Meat & Co. Their artfully crafted (and named), gourmet sandwiches, such as the Rick Ruben and the Uncle Orie (cubano), are delicious and will definitely hit the spot.

Meat sweats A photo posted by @blangan2 on Aug 1, 2015 at 10:12am PDT

Atelier Florian

If you are looking to unwind after the game and have a nice sit-down meal with friends and family, check out Atelier Florian. Despite being new to the New Haven food scene, Atelier Florian has definitely caught our eye and garnered the praise of many others.

Besides there standard items, they will be offering up a special, secret-menu item just for this weekend: a foie gras poutine – classic Belgian frites will be topped with foie gras whipped gravy, chedder cheese curds and scallions. My mouth is already watering.

Here’s a look into some of there other dishes.

The raindrops? may indeed be falling on your head, but dash inside to safety at Florian to cozy up with our wild diver scallops this evening. Giant, tender, perfectly seared scallops with delicious fregola sardo, marinated pumpkin? candied beets, blackberry purée? and apples? makes for a lovely #rainyday companion. Order one up for yourself in time for happy hour from 4-6:30 p.m. daily and score extra points with half-priced tap wine? beer? and house cocktails?#scallops #seafood #fregolasardo #beets #pumpkin #apples #comfortfood #eeeeeats #yum #delicious #happyhour #wine #winetime #beer #brews #cocktails #craftbeer #craftcocktails #nhv #newhaven #gscia #elmcity #ct #connecticut #ctlocal #ctfoodlovers #ctfood #ctbites #atelierflorian

A photo posted by Atelier Florian (@atelierflorian) on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:33pm PST

Late Night Bites

After a night (or a whole day in this case) of partying, one surely works up an appetite for some late night food. Toads and Zeta Late Night often lead to Popeyes, G-Heav (because we all know its still called that #Gheav4Ever) or Yorkside, but this weekend there should be a few other destinations on your radar.

Junzi Kitchen

By now, I’m sure you’ve already heard about Junzi Kitchen, but if you haven’t or your from that place in Cambridge, it’s a Chiptole-style newcomer that is serving up fresh, delicious Chinese dishes. During normal hours, you can make-your-own Chun Bing wrap or noodle bowl, which are both amazing!

Additionally, for the second week in the row, they will be open for late-night (10:30 pm-1 or 2 am) and will be serving up similar dishes to these eye-catching dishes below!

Harvard-Yale

Photo Courtesy of Junzi Kitchen

Harvard-Yale

Photo Courtesy of Junzi Kitchen

Harvard-Yale

Photo Courtesy of Junzi Kitchen

Salsa Fresca

Feeling like Chipotle, but the walk is just too far or they’ve already closed, go to Salsa Fresca instead, which is open until 3AM for all your Tex-Mex needs. They’ve got burritos, bowls, tacos, salads, nachos and quesadillas. Plus, you get free chips on the side and their salsa selection is straight fire.

Harvard-Yale

Photo by Kristina Kim

Regardless of what you do, have fun, be safe and go Yale!