Being ethnically Japanese and raised very closely with my Japanese grandmother, I have a strong affinity for all things related to Asia, particularly its food culture. Most Asian cultures take a lot of pride in the creation of their food. It is a true labor of love.

Mei Mei

By Haley Abram

Stepping into Mei Mei, I immediately felt this same sense of love. They care about the food, and they care where it comes from. Sustainability is a big issue these days, but its not easy to do. Mei Mei has definitely discovered the secret to using sustainably raised products. On a super cute chalkboard wall, they denote which local farm the meat comes from, the relationships they form with farms, and their food mission.

Mei Mei

By Haley Abram

It’s a pretty small space, but the front side facing the street is all windows, so there is plenty of natural light. The wood tones of the furniture and pops of color creates a lively and inviting atmosphere.

I went at lunch time and the menu is relatively small, but this is because they change it often based off of seasonally available ingredients. The dinner menu is more extensive and includes several great desserts. Mei Mei’s is a self-proclaimed Chinese-American food style, and they’ve nailed it.

Mei Mei

By Haley Abram

I ordered the “Kimchi Dog,” a kimchi covered hotdog wrapped up in a delicious scallion pancake. Essentially the champion of culture mash-ups, this thing is killer. I also ordered what they simply named “Bowls”. Each contains some variation of a dumpling or meat served atop sriracha rice and house-made pickles.

I chose the cranberry sage pork dumplings. They were fried to crispy, golden perfection, and the rice had just enough sriracha to give it a nice heat without being overwhelming.

Mei Mei

By Haley Abram

Mei Mei also has a wide variety of options for those with dietary restrictions. They have menu items that are meatless for vegetarians, and they have several options for those who are vegan and gluten free– just ask!

Mei Mei

By Haley Abram

The restaurant actually began as a food truck, and they still park it around Boston to serve their fans who crave their delicious food on their lunch breaks. You can even track its whereabouts via their Twitter. The siblings (one brother and two little sisters, or “mei mei”) behind this awesome dining experience definitely deserve a visit.