If you tell people you’re having dinner at Smoke’s, they’ll stare back at you in a state of confusion. I know it’s hard to believe, but Smoke’s exists beyond drunken late-night encounters. And now with the recently hired new head chef, there’s even more of an incentive to go. This new chef is the former chef from Pitruco Pizza, the irresistible wood-fired pizza truck that stops at 33rd and Arch St.

Smokey Joe's

Photo by Eric Kaplan

So how does the Enjay’s pizza at Smoke’s compare to other local pizza? As I see it, there’s no competition. The food is  high-quality, fresh and seasoned to perfection. The mushroom and onion pizza is leaps and bounds better than Allegro’s. It is a white pizza adorned with béchamel, diced-up crimini, maitake mushrooms, sharp provolone and caramelized onions – essentially everything I would want from a pizza. The sweetness from the onions is perfectly accompanied by the sharp provolone and béchamel. The crust, however, is probably my favorite part. It has that slight crisp of wood-fired pizza, but is just chewy enough for a perfect bite. Also try the french fries with peppers, garlic, rosemary and parmesan. They are packed with flavor and great to share.

I beg you to taste the pizza at Enjay’s at Smoke’s because you won’t be disappointed by the surprisingly gourmet experience.

average

Address: 210 S. 40th Street
Hours of operation: 5pm to 10pm (Tuesday through Sunday)