It’s a well-known fact that Lancaster, Pennsylvania is a great place if you’re looking for fresh food. Located in the heart of Amish country, Lancaster has the advantage of being supplied with premium fresh meat and produce, giving local restaurants an edge.

Mexican

Photo by Abigail Sokolsky

Though Lancaster can boast a number of great local dining options, it is considerably harder to find quality ethnic food in the area. For the more adventurous eaters searching for somewhere unique, authentic, and affordable, I recommend you take a look at El Pueblito, a small restaurant and grocery store over in Dillersville Square.

Mexican

Photo by Abigail Sokolsky

This hole in the wall Mexican restaurant nestled within a small grocery store is guaranteed to satisfy your need for good Mexican cuisine. El Pueblito is the perfect place to grab a casual meal with friends, especially if you love spicy food as much as I do. Be sure to try the Fajita Mix while you’re there. A mixture of beef, chicken, shrimp, and green peppers paired with beans and rice, this authentic mexican dish is sure to please.

Mexican

Photo by Abigail Sokolsky

Not so into spicy food? That’s okay too. Like a number of the dishes offered at El Pueblito, what makes the Fajita Mix spicy is actually the sauces offered on the side, so you can decide for yourself how much you can handle.

Mexican

Photo by Abigail Sokolsky

Still not hooked? After you’ve eaten be sure to take a look around the grocery store before you leave. Offering everything from Mexican candies to produce like nopales leaves, a kind of cactus used to make such traditional dishes as carne con Nopales, you’re sure to find some interesting and exotic treats.