Raise your hand if you’ve driven over a half an hour for a Chipotle burrito. Okay, put them down. I know, I have too. I’m here to tell you there’s another way, and it’s right here in Poughkeepsie. El Azteca Mexican Deli is the authentic Mexican food you need in your life.

el azteca mexican deli

The last time I had Mexican food that was this fresh and authentic was well…in Mexico. This small deli near the train station serves some of the most delicious Mexican food I’ve ever had, and I can honestly say I’ve had a lot.

Owned and operated by husband and wife, Alex and Clara, El Azteca opened in 2013 originally as a grocery store selling Mexican specialty items. As time went on, they began offering their best recipes using real Mexican ingredients made from scratch each day. They still keep their pantry stacked though, selling beans, dry peppers, Mexican spices, hot chocolate, Mexican drinks, fresh vegetables, Mexican candies and more.

el azteca mexican deli

Photo by Rachel Pfister

My first time at El Azteca I order spicy pork tostadas. For just $7.50 you get two crispy corn tortillas topped with refried beans, your choice of meat, lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, mexican white cheese, and cilantro with complimentary red and green hot sauce on the side.

el azteca mexican deli

Photo by Rachel Pfiste

Their menu includes traditional Mexican dishes such as enchiladas, tamales, and chilaquiles as well as other dishes like mexican pizza, nachos, and taco salad. Are you a vegetarian? Don’t worry, they have section of their menu dedicated to delicious meat-free dishes.

The best part about El Azteca is easily their college-friendly prices. Nothing on their menu exceeds $13. Even better – they have daily specials which can be found on their Facebook page that’s updated frequently. Some specials have included $5 Tacos on Tuesdays and free churros on Thursdays. Currently you can get any soup for $3.50 on Wednesday’s. Try the chicken tortilla: it’s a bowl full of warm, spicy love.

el azteca mexican deli

Photo by Rachel Pfister

So next time you need to fill your Tex-Mex craving, try the real thing at El Azteca Mexican Deli. Skip the 30 minute drive and risk of E. Coli, and I promise you won’t be disappointed.