Want a taste of Peru near Boston? Look no further than Union Square’s Machu Chicken.

chicken

Photo by Rebecca Morris

You may have heard of Somerville’s Union Square because of the oft-Instagrammed spot Union Square Donuts (which creates innovative and delicious confections such as these maple bacon donuts). But don’t be mesmerized by the gorgeous pastries and ignore the rest of the area’s offerings. Union Square boasts a diverse array of food vendors, and Machu Chicken is by far my favorite.

chicken

Photo by Rebecca Morris

Machu Chicken is the perfect place to grab a quick, inexpensive, and flavorful meal. The restaurant serves all sorts of casual fare and snacks, such as empanadas, sandwiches and Peruvian giant corn. The real star of the menu, however, is the Pollo a la Brasa, the far-superior Peruvian version of rotisserie chicken.

Machu cooks its chicken over a traditional charcoal grill imported from Peru and flavors it with the traditional mix of soy sauce, oregano, cilantro, garlic, and other spices.  The result: tender, juicy meat with insanely crispy skin that dances at the sweet, sweet intersection between grilled and fried. Vegetarians, do not fret. You can feast on traditional quinoa salad topped with an array of fresh vegetables and avocado.

DSC_0008 copy

The best part of Machu Chicken is that the prices are just as fantastic as the food. A quarter chicken with a side (think fried plantains, canary beans, rice, and more) and a salad will only set you back about $8. With all the money you’ve saved, you can even order dessert – Peruvian flan and Tres Leches cake round out the menu at under $4 each.

Even if Union Square seems a little of the beaten path, don’t fret. You can order through Eat24 to get your Peruvian chicken fix.