You will most definitely end up in London at some point if you’re a Colgate student going abroad. When else will you get the opportunity to stay in London for free? I’m assuming you’re staying for free by sleeping on the couch of someone on the Econ program (it’s worth it). London, in the more recent years, has been recognized as a food capital of the world. This isn’t because of British food… God, no. The city has become home to millions of people from around the globe and with that has also brought a diversity of delicious food—and all of it is at your fingertips!

The city is full of high end restaurants that will leave your pockets empty. We’re going to avoid those places. Colgate students know how to stay on budget, and since you’re probably a little homesick, we’ll take you to the places that can (temporarily) fill the void of Hamilton restaurants. So, if you’re in London and you miss ‘Gate… here is where to go.

1. Saxby’s: Black Cab Coffee Co.

London

Photo by Sam Birmingham

You don’t just need coffee to stay up for exams. This coffee company has multiple locations all across London, and they are literally always on the move. Black Cab Coffee Co. runs its business out of multiple repurposed British Black Cabs. They have coffees, teas, and even little snacks. Hit them up for your java boost.

2. Hamilton Eatery: St. John Bread and Wine

London

Photo by Sam Birmingham

Missing the Mac Daddy? The Big Willy? Get your solid Hamilton Eatery sandwich fix here. St. John’s has a few locations around London. However, their Shoreditch location (just steps form Brick Lane) serves up the best bacon sandwich. It’s bacon… and bread. That’s it. Unless you want the Deviled Kidneys on Toast… your call.

3. Maxwell’s: Greedy Goat

London

Photo courtesy of Greedy Goat

Ice cream from goat’s milk… hear me out. We all need our sweet fix and not always in the conventional way. Greedy Goat can give you that sweet fix that Maxwell’s gives you, and with a twist: they have flavors you didn’t realize you wanted until you’ve heard of them (like Raspberry & Chili or Gin & Tonic). They’ll even take recommendations if you think you can add to their list of awesome flavors.

4. Oliveri’s: La Tua Pasta

London

Photo courtesy of La Tua Pasta

The line at Borough Market always gets long but it is very much worth the wait. This is the call if you miss the indulgence of Italian food that Oliveri’s provides. They have cheap eats with a range from the standard pesto gnocchi to a squid ink and crab tortellini.

5. Royal India Grill: Brick Lane

London

Photo by Sam Birmingham

There is no specific place I would recommend to replace RIG. Brick Lane is the heart of Indian food in London’s East End. The game here is to try and take as many samples as you can while searching for the best deals. You could survive on samples alone; they’re practically shoved into your mouth without you asking. The sheer number of Indian restaurants is overwhelming.

6. Good Nature Brewery: Holborn Whippet

London

Photo courtesy of Andy Thorton

The craft beer movement isn’t limited to just America; London has hopped on board too. Though they don’t have their own brews like our beloved Good Nature, The Holborn Whippet provides the same vibe that the tap room does—with a younger admittance to customers. The small size, good vibes, and plenty to imbibe could keep you in there for hours after a long day in London.

7. N13: Koi Ramen Bar

London

Photo courtesy of Koi Ramen Bar

The newest place in Hamilton certainly gets a lot of attention; there is nothing like hot ramen on a cold day. That isn’t completely selective of Hamilton! Koi Ramen Bar is an award winning pho and ramen maker with a stand on Brick Lane. For just a fiver you can indulge in some delicious (and we’ll just say nutritious) Japanese style noodle soup.

8. Slices: Homeslice

London

Photo by Sam Birmingham

Your Homeslice away from Slices back home.  Again, Homeslice has a few places you can get their delicious oven-cooked pizza. There may be a line wherever you go. I would recommend going to the Neal’s Yard location because of the seclusion and beauty it provides in the center of Covent Garden. Their pizzas are to die for and the restaurant has received numerous awards. So grab a whole pie that may have corn, pumpkin seeds, or even yogurt on it. It’s worth it.

Obviously, these are all just recommendations for when you need something to remind you of Colgate. The best thing to do when in any place is explore. There are thousands of restaurants in London. However, if you’re feeling a bit lost… these places could definitely satisfy.