In the heart of the city’s Chinatown district, this Asian-American cafe fusion is to die for. Opened in January, the cafe was started by two sisters who wanted to share their childhood playful approach to food with the rest of Boston. The spacious mint-colored coffee shop offers a variety of food, from cart noodles to sandwiches, but that’s not what I came in for. I was there for their deluxe sized cube toast, which is a massive slice of bread filled with fried dough, ice cream, fresh fruit, syrup and other goodies. It was the next level of bread.

I needed to try it.

Of the four options available, I chose the “Berry Healthy,” though much can be said that it wasn’t that healthy, especially with the heap of strawberry syrup that drowned my toast.

cube toast

Photo by Natalie Carroll

At first glance, I was overwhelmed. I should have dragged a friend along with me. Inside the big piece of toast were smaller cut out pieces of fried dough, three large scoops of vanilla ice cream with chocolate and strawberry pocky sticks sticking out the top, with pieces of freshly cut strawberries and peach. The scattered pieces of cornflakes and granola added an extra crunchy taste to the soft dough. Laid across the entire dessert were criss-cross lines of strawberry syrup.

The big cube toast was thick and, of course, deeply fried, but tasted oh-so-delicious. Add a chunk of ice cream and a little bit of fruit on that piece, and you’ve got yourself a foodgasm.

cube toast

Photo by Natalie Carroll

There were a lot of contrasts within the food as well, between the mochi and the granola pieces, and the cold ice cream and the warm toast. The toast, in particular, was light and fluffy. Not burnt, but just right amount of golden crispness.

cube toast

Photo by Natalie Carroll

What I would recommend is to ask them to go light on the strawberry syrup. Towards the end of eating the dessert, the syrup seemed to take over and overwhelm the taste of everything else leftover.

With all that said, Double Chin offers attentive service and an innovative menu that brings a new hype to town. It’s the go-to restaurant for your Asian-American fusion food, and the ultimate deluxe dessert.