Nights in Florence are beautiful and exciting, but the endless restaurants all serving extremely similar dishes can be overwhelming. I am sure you can't wait to try every pasta dish the city has to offer, but deciding where to eat dinner in Florence, especially with friends, can take all night. Trust me, I've been there and wasted hours pouring over restaurants reviews. Here are some of my favorite places with my go-to meals (in no particular order) that you absolutely have to try during study abroad!

Yellow Bar - Rosé Gnocchi 

Gabriella Carnazza

The inside of Yellow Bar almost looks like a diner, but still has the Florence charm of high, ornate ceilings. The restaurant is family-oriented, with a large menu boasting variety. This is the perfect place to go with your most picky friends. And if it's your first time there, they may even show you how they make their handmade pasta! 

Osteria Il Gatto e La Volpe - Lasagna 

Gabriella Carnazza

This is a casual dining spot that a lot of study abroad students frequent. Most people call it "Volpe" for short; it has a more rustic interior and the most friendly waiters. The balsamic is incredible (I bought four bottles to bring home to the states!). 

Gusta Pizza - Margherita 

Gabriella Carnazza

Gusta Pizza is arguably the most talked about pizza joint for study abroad students. You can leave your mark on the place by writing your name on a slip of paper and sliding it under the glass covering on the tables. Be prepared for a crowded and loud atmosphere. Perfect for a quick, filling dinner before heading out to the bars or clubs.

Acqua Al Due (2) - Blueberry Steak

Gabriella Carnazza

Not the most traditional Italian dish, but the blueberry sauce is a surprisingly great addition to the steak. Dinner in Florence can be more than just the traditional dishes, so don't be afraid to branch out. This restaurant is a bit fancier than the above ones; however, you can still dress pretty casually for dinner here (jeans and a cute top is fine!). Make sure to make a reservation because they can get pretty busy, especially on the weekends! 

Trattoria Zá Zá- Rigatoni al pomodoro e buffalo mozzarella 

Gabriella Carnazza

Zá Zá is great for big groups with plenty of tables and a menu filled with options. This was my favorite dish; a different take on the typical pasta with tomato sauce. Infused in the tomato sauce is buffalo mozzarella, making it more creamy. Call ahead for a reservation because it can get booked up pretty quickly. It is also right near my favorite leather shop- Massimo leather- which has authentic leather jackets and bags! 

Trattoria Anita- Balsamic Grilled Chicken 

Gabriella Carnazza

This place is a solid choice for a casual night out with friends. It is a local spot, never too packed. You can always find a table and the wine is cheap and delicious! The menu is limited, but you can't go wrong with the balsamic grilled chicken. It can be difficult to find chicken dishes in Florence that resemble a meal from the US, so this was a go-to dinner for me. 

La Giostra- Pesto Gnocchi 

Gabriella Carnazza

I recommend bringing your parents or family here if they come to visit. It is a little more upscale, with twinkling lights on the ceiling and photos of celebrities who dined at the restaurant on the walls. The food is expensive, but definitely worth at least one trip for dinner. You won't be disappointed with the pesto gnocchi, savory and cooked to perfection! 

Trattoria Mario- Beef Stew 

Gabriella Carnazza

Trattoria Mario is a very local spot with mainly native Italians frequenting it. When you walk in, you are seated with other guests, usually families, at a table. This is family-oriented and the menu is more traditional with dishes that you may not recognize. The "beef stew," as I called it, was flavorful and one of the more recognizable things on the menu. Expect to walk in here with no one speaking English at all--a real Italian dining experience! 

Wherever you choose to eat dinner in Florence, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But, for now, you have a few places to get you started! Ciao e buon appetito!