Aside from a grilled cheese or an occasional PB&J, I am not a huge sandwich eater. Luckily, DGS Delicatessen in Dupont Circle is much, much more than a sandwich shop. Described as having “Jewish classics with a contemporary twist”, this is a fantastic spot for lunch, dinner, snacks or weekend brunch. After seeing DGS on multiple Thrillist and Washingtonian articles, I just had to make it over there and boy am I glad I did.

DGS

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

We went around 1 pm on a Friday, and it was busy but not overly crowded. It is spacious with two stories and has a modern rustic vibe with exposed brick, glass bottles of water for each table and lots of natural light.

DGS

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Most importantly though, the food we had was great. I ordered the ‘Benedictberg’, which was two poached eggs on potato latkes with smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce. English muffins are my least favorite part of a normal eggs Benedict and I love latkes, so I knew it would be delicious before arriving. I was not disappointed at all–even the hollandaise had the right amount of flavor without being overpowering or too creamy, and paired perfectly with the latkes that were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

DGS

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

My friend ordered a sandwich with turkey, provolone, avocado, pepper relish and chicken cracklings. The bread was freshly made, and the relish provided some good tang to balance out the rest of the ingredients. Her favorite part about the sandwich? The chicken cracklings.

I will most definitely be going back soon, and already have my eyes on the Matzo ball soup, the reuben and the schmutzy fries.

Other D.C. restaurants to check out: