When most people think of Chinatown in New York, their minds immediately go to the one in Manhattan. But, in my opinion, Flushing, which is in Queens, is the true Chinatown of New York City.

Although most people are familiar with at least the basics of Chinese food, their Asian dessert knowledge often consists entirely of fortune cookies (which BTW, aren't Chinese at all!). Having made regular trips to Flushing ever since I was little, I can tell you that there are so many other options out there. Here are all of the best Asian desserts in Flushing, NYC. 

1. Spot Dessert Bar

If you enjoy decadent, Asian-influenced desserts, then Iron Chef Thailand's Ian Kittichai's Spot Dessert Bar is for you. The Bar specializes in dessert tapas, meaning it's a great place to come with friends after dinner to share a couple of desserts, or an ideal place to come alone if you're in the mood to treat yourself.

Their matcha lava cake breathes new life into the old restaurant classic with an Asian twist that gives the dessert just the right balance of sweetness and bitterness. Another must-try dessert is their golden toast, buttered toast drizzled with honey and served with condensed milk ice cream. The crisp and caramelized toast combined with the rich and sweet ice cream makes for a dessert that you won't be able to stop thinking about. 

2. Prince Tea House

Prince Tea House is a great spot to grab a quick meal, with both savory and sweet items offered. However, the sweet treats are the true star of the menu. Try one of their many deliciously creamy milk teas, along with one of their delectable cakes.  The green tea crepe cake combines light cream with thin crepes and practically melts in your mouth. My personal favorite is their fruit toast, which is buttered toast, drizzled with condensed milk and topped with fruit and ice cream. The fruit adds a bit of freshness to an otherwise rich dessert (and even makes it feel a little healthy). 

3. Maxin Bakery

This bakery specializes in traditional Chinese desserts, so you probably won't find any New York cheesecakes here. Instead, expect desserts like egg custard tarts. During the mid-autumn festival, their delicious mooncakes, especially the green tea and red bean flavored ones, are not to be missed.

4. Yeh’s Bakery

This bakery isn't right in the center of Flushing, but trust me, it is worth the trek. The cakes here, particularly the chestnut cake, are incredible. The fluffy cake combined with the chestnut purée and the light cream frosting makes for a perfect bite. Try this cake and you'll be coming back for years, just like my family always does on special occasions. 

5. Flushing Ice Cream Factory

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, which just opened their Flushing Ice Cream Factory, is one of my favorite places to get ice cream, as I've been going there since I was little. Their use of unusual ingredients like black sesame and durian in their ice creams sets them apart from other ice cream shops. 

Flushing has always had a special place in my heart. For as long as I can remember, my family has gone to Flushing for everything from New Year celebrations to birthdays. Since I have a huge sweet tooth, I would always force my parents to grab dessert somewhere after, and these places never disappointed. Even now, when I finish a big assignment or need to cheer myself up, I head to one of these places for a sweet treat.