I don’t know how your Mexican restaurant experiences go down, but mine seem to stick to a pretty predictable trend. To give you an idea of what transpires, I can paint a picture of the scene though the following steps:

1. Walk into the restaurant and be seated by a bachata band.
  2. Put on my sombrero.
  3. Begin devouring the chips and salsa placed in front of me.

We all know everyone fills up on too many chips before their burrito even arrives. It’s tradition. As a result of this inevitable turn of events, if you are ever in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and need to get your Mexican food fix, Carrburritos will hit the spot.

They have six delectable salsas that come on-the-house to enhance the fresh taste of every burrito, quesadilla, or taco. After having all of them accompany my chip-gorging festivities at one point or another, it’s time to rank them once and for all.

1. Verde

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

This salsa is so damn refreshing. The vibrant green color simply radiates good vibes. With cilantro notes driving the melody and surprising kick of jalapeno heat when you least expect it, this salsa will always serve me well when I’m going two chip baskets deep.

2. Pineapple

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

This close second might shock some of you, but Carrburritos’ pineapple salsa is a cut above the rest because you can taste more than just pineapple! It is cleverly crafted to entertain your taste buds with all different flavors from sweet to spicy. Making this tropical selection may be a walk on the wild side, but maybe that’s exactly what you need.

3. Fresca

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

If you don’t think you need to take a walk on the wild side, the Fresca salsa is the best in its category of traditional tomato salsas. Eating this salsa is like biting into the tenderest tomato, having the juices run down your chin, but slurping them up because they taste so good. The combination of onion, cilantro, and tomatoes will show you what salsa is all about in the freshest way possible.

4. Chipotle

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

Chipotle salsa is to a burrito as barbeque sauce is to a rack of ribs. This salsa is SMOKY AF. It has mastered the mesquite flavor that lingers on your tongue chip after chip. It also pairs well with carnitas (rack of ribs half brother).

5. Tomatillo

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

An underestimated choice, tomatillo salsa is a milder version of the Verde, but equally unique. With a sour component at play, Tomatillo goes great with your saltiest chip. It’s also really fun to say when you’re ordering it.

6. Habanero

Salsas

Photo by Sara Tane

Who the hell eats habanero salsa???? JK, it’s pretty tasty, especially if you don’t want to taste anything for the rest of the night. Maybe I’m just a baby, but I don’t think an adult could handle this stuff either.

Thanks again to Carrburritos for allowing our Spoon chapter the chance to enjoy this beautiful variety. Don’t ever feel ashamed of your chips and salsa cravings when you have this many delicious options to choose from. Agree with these rankings? Tell us what you think in the comments!