Whether it’s 2 p.m. or 2 a.m. there’s never a bad time to eat pizza. Lucky for us, Penn is loaded with pizza spots on every block —but some are significantly better than others. Here’s the definitive ranking, starting from the worst to the best. Let’s go.

#5. Zesto

Zesto’s opening on campus was highly anticipated, but unfortunately very disappointing. Its one positive thing,(which may be its only positive thing), is its wide variety of options. The menu offers pizza, pasta, calzones, sandwiches, burgers, quesadillas and even gyros (the list goes on and on), but it seems that Zesto has sacrificed quality in the name of quantity. I’ve tried their margherita pizza, and while it was edible, it was nothing special. Since Zesto’s prices are comparable to other places, there’s really no reason to go. NEEEEXT.

A Definitive Ranking of the Best Pizza on Campus

Photo by Hannah Morse

#4. Domino’s

There’s nothing really wrong with Domino’s. Its low ranking comes from the fact that the other places are a little bit better and more unique. Although it is convenient to order in, Axis offers the same services but has much more flavorful pizza (see below). Before you totally write them off, remember that Domino’s has their signature cinna sticks and cheesy bread. Let’s be honest —when can you go wrong with cinna sticks or cheesy bread? You can’t. Ever.

#2. Allegro’s/Axis

Allegro’s and Axis tie for second. It’s hard to choose one over the other because they both taste so good and are appropriate for different times. Plus they’re owned by the same people, so…  Allegro’s is the place to go if you’re already out and about. Your portions are limited to individual slices (which is often a very good thing), and those slices are delicious. My go-tos are the barbecue chicken and the Buffalo chicken. Allegro’s also offers incredible mozzarella sticks and a fun atmosphere, especially for people watching.

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Axis is an excellent choice if you’re already home or if Allegro’s is closed. What’s more convenient then delivery? The BBQ chicken with feta pizza is a must try, and you might hate me for telling you this, but the Oreo milkshake is one of the best on campus. Both places have their own strengths and neither have any drawbacks, but they miss out on the top spot because while the pizza may be incredible after a night out, it doesn’t quite live up to the same standard in the light of day.

Photo by Hannah Morse

#1. Smokes

If you haven’t eaten here yet, go. The bar recently partnered with Pitruco Pizza food truck to bring us Enjay’s Pizza. I recommend the mushroom and onion pizza or the pepperoni, but really everything is good. The crust is thin and crispy, the marinara sauce is perfectly seasoned and the toppings are fresh. While Enjay’s is slightly more expensive than its “competitors” it’s not badly priced at all and it’s definitely worth it.  The garlic knots with marinara sauce for dipping are also not to be missed. Enjay’s has also recently been voted as having one of the top 10 sandwiches in Philly. Clearly we’re obsessed with the whole menu. Hands down the absolute best pizza on campus.

IMG_1332-1024x682