Attention tea lovers: we’ve found the mecca. David’s Tea, located in Bucktown, has been warmly welcoming tea fanatics in the Chicagoland area ever since it opened in October of 2012. But now it’s time for us Evanstonians to catch on to the craze.

Photo by Liza Keller

The back wall is covered with tins of loose tea organized by type: white, green, oolong, black, pu’erh, maté, rooibos and herbal. The baristas are more than accommodating and truly want you to help you find your tea of choice. After explaining what I usually drink, and smelling just about every tea in the store, I found some of the best picks.

Photo by Liza Keller

Forever Nuts is their most popular tea. This herbal tea is a light, warm tea containing almond, apple, cinnamon and beer root.

David's Tea- mix

Photo by Liza Keller

Matcha Matsu is a Japanese green tea that has 10 percent more antioxidants than regular green tea and three times the caffeine. That’s right caffeine addicts, I’m looking at you. This tea was originally ceremonial and must be whisked into hot water. Because the leaves never fully dissolve, you get the increased antioxidants and health benefits. It does taste just like wheatgrass, which is certainly an acquired taste.

Photo by Liza Keller

Glitter & Gold is a fun black tea with sugar balls that dissolve and sparkle in the cup.

Some Velet Morning is nicknamed the “hangover tea,” so listen up, college students. This tea has dandelion which is thought to help detox the liver. Drink this tea after a big night out and you may not have to spend your entire Sunday in bed.

Photo by Liza Keller

This tea shop has loose tea that can be bought by the ounce. There is no minimum or maximum quantity, so timid tea lovers don’t have to overcommit. The only catch is that the tea is loose, so you have to buy paraphernalia before indulging. Thankfully, David’s sells reusable or one-time tea bags that can be filled with the loose leaves. All of the teas are under 10 calories and range from traditional to festive. If you’re a tea fan like me, definitely head to David’s Tea for personalized help selecting the best tea to satisfy your taste.

cheap

Address: 924 West Armitage Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs: 9:30-am-8pm, Fri-Sat: 9am-8pm, Sun: 10am-7pm