Sure, Athens is known as the party hub of Ohio. "Come visit me on HallOUween" we message friends from home. Here, bae meets all of your friends at a 21'st birthday shuffle. The word "date" implies cheap beer and fraternity brothers. But what about those nights for just you and your significant other? Where do you take your long-distant guy or gal for dinner when they visit? Does it get any fancier than Bagel Street? This is your official guide to drinks, dinner and a romantic night off of Ohio University's campus!

Athens Uncorked

Athens Uncorked is a cute and casual night that does not need to be *super* fancy, but involves hand selected and local, Ohio wines. This wine bar offers small appetizers and delicious cheese plates to accompany a glass of red or white. The friendly staff and rich purple walls are appealing for a cozy night with your S.O. If you are on a first date and conversation is slow, there are plenty of board games lying around and honestly, when was the last time you played Scrabble? 

Date Tip: Know how to pronounce the names of kinds of wine. A quick Google search before you go will do you good and maybe impress your date!

Little Fish 

beer, wine, alcohol, ale, tea, liquor
Michelle Miller
beer, wine, alcohol, ale, tea, liquor
Michelle Miller

Wine not your vibe? You and your S.O. can still grab a casual drink together at Little Fish Brewing Company, which has an open craft beer tap room. There is a small kitchen for some delicious, locally sourced small plates too. You can enjoy a beer tasting and brewery tour overlooking beautiful fruit trees and a restored wetland. If the weather is warm, consider enjoying your brew outside!

Date Tip: Dress in jeans and a nice shirt, and check the weather beforehand if you want to enjoy Little Fish's outdoor space.

Purple Chopstix

I know what you are thinking: Chinese food for date night? But Purple Chopstix is not just Chinese food, it has fresh and local dishes inspired by Athens. The decor and vibe of the restaurant is very Passion Works art inspired. This is certainly the place to eat if you and your bae cannot decide on what to eat: the menu has everything from traditional curry, to sushi, to linguine!

Date Tip: Reservations are strongly encouraged, meaning make a reservation. 

Restaurant Salaam

chicken, sauce, curry
Eunice Choi
chicken, sauce, curry
Eunice Choi

The website for Salaam states that the menu has been inspired by flavors of the Middle East, the Mediterranean, the Balkans, North Africa, Thailand, India, and Pakistan. Now, Athens is cute and the food here is amazing, but these flavors are not available at just any little shop off of Ohio University's campus. I suggest if you and your date feel like you have been in a dinner rut, a trip to Salaam can bring the excitement back to your evenings. The menu includes dishes like a Moroccan lamb wrap or coconut chicken curry.

Date Tip: Come with your sense of adventure. Trying new things with your date can be fun! 

Zoe Fine Dining 

The words "fine dining" are literally in the restaurant's name. This makes Zoe the perfect place to take your boyfriend or girlfriend for special occasions. The menu is simply fabulous and very indulgent: shrimp, steak, salmon, scallops, and more! This is your chance to stray away from eating pizza on the couch, dress up a little, and treat yourselves!

Date Tip: Be prepared for a large-ish bill (like, the appetizers are nine dollars) and a very full stomach.