Specialty food stores have become somewhat obsolete, and to be frank, it’s a damn shame. What were once shining beacons of hope for the young foodie are now extremely hard to come by. Recently however, Tuscaloosa has been blessed by the gods of deliciousness because Cravings is everything downtown T-Town needed, and here’s why.

The Food

downtown tuscaloosa

Photo courtesy of @cravings_ttown on Instagram

Cravings offers a variety of specialty foods, and they change up the menu whenever they feel like it – which is often. This means you will always find something new, and if you’re like me, spend hours walking the aisles and staring at the menu wondering where this place has been all your life.

Cravings gets started early and offers a wide range of breakfast items. They have everything you could possibly want in the morning from Belgian waffles to fresh New York style bagels. If you’re feeling a little more fancy, they offer homemade quiche in decadent flavors such as spinach, portobello mushroom and even cajun.

As you peruse the stocked aisles, I can guarantee you will not know where to start. Specialty meals such as crawfish rolls and street style hot dogs are just two of your mouth-watering options. Snacks, pastas, candies and jarred goods also line the shelves. This gives you the perfect excuse to try something new and spend more money that you don’t have. If only they accepted our beloved Dining Dollars.

The Drinks

downtown tuscaloosa

So, this is where things get real. Cravings offers over 200 craft beers and over 150 wines and champagnes. Yes, this is real life. The beers are kept chilled in a refrigerator that takes up literally a whole wall. Wines – white, red and any shade in between – are waiting for you in their very own room.

If you’re not into beer or wine, have no fear. Cravings sells mixers and hard sodas to jazz up your average mixed drink and satisfy your buzz.

For those who would rather pass on the booze, don’t start to feel left out in this crazy beverage selection. Specialty health drinks are also available. Kombucha products, pressed juices, organic teas and flavored hemp waters are all available for your enjoyment.

The Desserts

downtown tuscaloosa

Okay, here is where you really have to brace yourself. If you have a sweet tooth, Cravings knows exactly how to satisfy it. The dessert options are seemingly endless and definitely require multiple visits to this food hub.

Cheesecakes. Delivered daily and locally-made, these cheesecakes are available by the slice for dessert-loving customers. They come in a variety of flavors, and are not stingy when it comes to size. These colossal slices are so sinful, you’ll be buying another before you know it.

If you couldn’t find the wine you were looking for, don’t fret. Wine ice cream is stocked in the freezer just for those trying to kill two birds with one stone. Peach White Zinfandel, Cherry Merlot and Chocolate Cabernet make for the perfect post-dinner treat instead of the traditional drinks and dessert.

The Fun

downtown tuscaloosa

Clearly, this downtown dive has everything you could possibly crave, but the true experience comes from actually visiting. It’s not just your average grocery store because customers are able to dine in as well as take their purchases to go. Take your beers home in a create-your-own six pack or pick out the perfect Pinot and start a tab. Sit outside on a Friday night and enjoy a decadent baked good or throw together an authentic meal in the comfort of your own home.

Whatever the case, do yourself a favor and head downtown to Cravings, you will be thanking me later.