Tucked away under the Hotel Eleo, Covey Kitchen + Cocktails is a delightful getaway for both you and your tastebuds. It's located at 1514 SW 14th St, Gainesville with valet-only parking (but don't worry, the valet is free). The floor to ceiling glass windows that wrapped around the outer edge of the eatery give way to the fountain outside. They're open from 7 am to 9 pm, their brunch hours are also 10 am to 2 pm, and the bar is open from 7 am to 10 pm.

*Disclaimer: Covey Kitchen + Cocktails graciously invited and treated us to this dinner. 

Victoria Vargas

Drinks

Victoria Vargas

The drinks at Covey were unique and delicious. The three we tried were Strawberry Fields, Gin + Matcha and Butterfly Effect. Strawberry Fields was light and refreshing but definitely on the stronger side. The Gin + Matcha was an interesting mix none of us had come across before. If you're a matcha lover then you'll be a fan of this drink. Finally, the Butterfly Effect had butterfly pea flower infused blackthorn gin, lemon, lavender simple syrup and egg whites in it, creating an interesting combination of flavors. 

The consensus was that the Strawberry Fields was the favorite we tried. All the cocktails on their menu cost between $12-$14, and they also had a wine and beer menu that we didn't dip into. 

Appetizers

Victoria Vargas

The appetizer selection (called Shareables) was expansive but not overwhelming — my favorite type of menu. We had the Crispy Cauliflower (pictured above), the Wings, Charcuterie + Cheese and the Avocado Toast. The cauliflower was cooked well and the sauces brought with it to dip were amazing (the chipotle one was my favorite). The chicken wings were a bit plain but the meat was cooked very nicely and they came with the same three sauces as the cauliflower. The charcuterie board was delectable, featuring three types of cheeses, three kinds of meat, olives, some bread and some spreads.

My personal favorite appetizer, however, had to be the avocado toast. Normally a brunch food, their avocado toast as a starter was a genius move. It came with buttered pieces of toast, and the avocado was in a mound underneath a mountain of greens. I liked the crunch the greens added to the experience, and it was the creamiest avocado I've had. 

Victoria Vargas

Entrees

Victoria Vargas

Myself, our marketing director Darya, our photography director Tori and our events director Enrique all attended this dinner, so we each ordered a different entree. Between us, we got Scallops, Salmon Nicoise, Steak Frites and Fried Chicken.

About the fried chicken, Darya said, "How is it crispy and juicy? Explain the physics."

All the entrees were well-prepared and the portions were the perfect size. I would recommend the Fried Chicken the most.

Victoria Vargas

Pictured above is the Scallops on a bed of creamy risotto topped with greens and plated with mushrooms. Below are the Steak Frites that came with a side salad and well-seasoned fries.

Victoria Vargas

Dessert

Victoria Vargas

At the end of our meal we were surprised with four desserts that weren't on the menu: Bread Pudding, Banana Pudding, Citrus Pie and Belgian Mousse.

None of the desserts were too heavy or filling; they were light and the perfect cap to the meal. I would recommend getting one and splitting it, though, as they're fun to share.

Atmosphere

Victoria Vargas

"This is where you'd want to get taken on a date," Darya said. "Or graduation dinner."

The Covey Kitchen + Cocktails atmosphere was unlike any I've come across in Gainesville before. It was sleek, elegant and polished. As Darya said, it's the perfect place to go out for a nice meal.