Coffee lovers prayers were answered October 23rd when United by Blue opened in University City. The store is split, selling coffee and food on one side and sustainable clothing and outdoor goods on the other. Food-wise, I’m a fan. The shop serves delicious Frangelli’s pastries, including the infamous hybrid foods the cronut (a mix between a croissant and a donut) and the donnoli (a mix between a donut and a cannoli). It was my first experience eating a cronut, and the warm and doughy snack did not disappoint. The coffee is also very good, coming from ReAnimator Coffee Roaster, as is the Random Tea Room loose-leaf teas.

Photo by Amanda Shulman

However, the shop still has a ways to go. During my first visit, almost nothing that I wanted was available. The store was out of their three tasty-sounding varieties of oatmeal, my first choice in breakfast sandwich and chai. When I came back a few days later, their food selection was replenished but the chai was still MIA. In theory, United by Blue seems like it could be my new go-to study spot. But with its inconsistent offerings and limited workspace, United by Blue remains second to Hub Bub. Hopefully, United by Blue will get its act together and live up to the standards of their incredible cronut.

Photo by Amanda Shulman

cheap

Location: 3421 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 7am-7pm. Saturday/Sunday 8am-7pm