You know a restaurant is good when you go to make a reservation and have to wait two weeks until a spot opens up. Although my friends and I were a little disappointed that our Galentines Day celebration at Citrus and Salt, a Mexican restaurant in downtown Boston, had to be postponed a week, we knew we were in for a treat—and we were certainly right.

Anna Keefe

Citrus and Salt is a Mexican inspired restaurant with a shared plates concept. The menu has tons of good food options ranging from traditional Mexican eats, like chips and guac or fish tacos, to new twists on classics, like grilled sweet corn rolled in crumbled flaming hot Cheetos (yes) or goat cheese nachos. The restaurant is about a 15 minute uber ride from Boston College and the aesthetic is SO CUTE. With the stringed lights overhead, white wooden tables, floral patterned floor, and colorful murals on the walls, I was getting some major summer vibes.

Anna Keefe

My friends and I went on a Tuesday night and the place was packed. Every table was filled and the bar was crowded with people sipping Citrus and Salt's signature margaritas. We were all starving so we ordered the chips and guacamole and biscuits right away. I'm not kidding when I say that it was the best guacamole I have ever had...and I take guac very seriously. The guac was a delicious mixture of mashed avocados and lime/lemon juice topped with jalapeños and cotija, which is a Mexican cheese. The creamy avocado paired with the strong bite of the cheese and spicy jalapeños was the perfect combo. The chips were homemade kettle tortilla chips with a jalapeño rub on them that tasted perfect when paired with the guacamole. 

Anna Keefe

The Warm Agave Glazed Blue Cornmeal Biscuits put all normal bread to shame. The inside of the biscuits were warm, doughy, and moist, while the outside had the perfect amount of crunch. They were topped with a sugar glaze and finished off with a dash of sea salt on top. With delicious cinnamon butter on the side, I basically felt like I was eating dessert before the actual dinner, which I was certainly not complaining about.

Anna Keefe
Anna Keefe

Finally came the main courses. There were so many good options on the menu that it was really hard to decide what to get. My friends ordered the fish tacos, pork belly tacos, and croquettes and I opted for the tuna ceviche. They were all obsessed with their food and it looked so good. I loved the ceviche! The tuna tasted fresh and I liked the combo of the sweet pomegranates and citrus paired with spicy jalapeño peppers.

Anna Keefe
Anna Keefe

By the end of the night, we were all stuffed—although the cinnamon sugar churros with a chocolate dipping sauce on the side were certainly tempting. Overall, I would recommend Citrus and Salt to anyone. The place was cute, the food was delicious, there were people of all ages, and the service was fantastic. Next time you're looking to celebrate #tacotuesday, go to Citrus and Salt and you will certainly not be disappointed!