Hamilton’s iconic James Street North is home to all kinds of artisans. Whether you’re looking for a good cup of coffee or a one-of-a-kind piece of art, you’re guaranteed to find it here.

Of all of these places, one special boutique on James Street North artfully combines three sectors of the food industry that are a match made in heaven.

Chocolat on James is not only an artisanal delight, it’s a triple threat.

chocolat

Photo courtesy of @chocolateonjames on Instagram

Chocolat on James is first and foremost a chocolate boutique.

Opened in July 2015 by chocolatier Sheryl Cronsberry, her shop has spent the last year building an incredible reputation.

chocolat

Photo courtesy of @tianeats on Instagram

Hidden behind glass cases, the chocolates that are offered are incredibly luxurious. They offer a wide range of decadent choices, but their truffles, fudge, and barks reign supreme.

There is plenty of love and quality that goes into the boutique chocolate experience. Each piece is beautiful, carefully crafted, and as delicious as the next. They even offer vegan options for those of us with dietary restrictions.

chocolat

If you’re in a pinch for a last minute gift, whether it be an anniversary present or a stocking stuffer, you can’t go wrong with artisanal chocolate.

Feeling exam stress? Grab some chocolate. Significant other just broke up with you? Grab some chocolate. Time to treat yo’self? Head on over to Chocolat on James.

chocolat

Photo courtesy of @chocolatonjames on Instagram

The only thing better than chocolate by itself is when it’s accompanied by coffee. Whether you’re eating chocolate covered espresso beans, a coffee-infused chocolate bar or pairing the two individually, you can’t go wrong with this flavour combo.

Chocolat on James understands that, and that’s why they also function as an espresso bar.

chocolat

Chocolate on James brews Balzac’s roasted coffee, a company whose head office is right here in Hamilton. The company’s core values include being artisanal, sustainable, local, and natural.

Balzac has been offering fair trade organic coffee, sugar, and cocoa since 1997. When you grab a cup of coffee at Chocolat on James, you can feel good knowing that you’re supporting not only local but ethical businesses.

chocolat

Photo by Natasha Brown

If you need another reason to head down to Chocolat on James, you have it: ice cream.

Chocolat on James ups the ante on traditional dipped cones. No longer are the days of having a thin, tasteless layer of chocolate on your mediocre soft serve.

Chocolat on James does not play games.

chocolat

The first major decision you have to make is whether you want your ice cream on a cone or in a cup. Do you think that’s easy? No, it isn’t.

Chocolat on James offers specialty waffle cones that you can get plain, rimmed with chocolate, or rimmed with chocolate and covered in toppings.

The bowl decision isn’t easy either. They have the traditional paper bowl, but if you’re feeling adventurous (and environmentally friendly), they also have the option of an edible bowl.

For edible bowls, you have the choice of a waffle bowl, a waffle bowl rimmed with chocolate and covered in toppings, or an adventurous chocolate crêpe creation they call the tulip bowl.

chocolat

When it comes time for ice cream, there are three options for soft serve flavours: vanilla, chocolate, or chocolate and vanilla swirl.

Pick what you want, but I think the choice is obvious.

chocolat

GIF courtesy of ignitetheliight.tumblr.com

With your ice cream on a cone, your dessert is about to get dunked. If you choose a bowl, it’s drizzling time.

Being a chocolate shop at heart, Chocolat on James has a large selection of gourmet chocolates to cover your ice cream in. You can choose from mint milk chocolate, dark chocolate hazelnut praline, milk chocolate peanut butter cup, white chocolate cookies and cream, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate.

Again, pick your favourite, but I would recommend the dark chocolate hazelnut praline.

chocolat

Photo courtesy of @mayaingrao on Instagram

With your ice cream cocooned in chocolate, it’s time for toppings.

The first time I went to Chocolat on James I was absolutely overwhelmed by the choices in front of me. I was like a little kid in a candy shop, and my parents told me that I could only choose one type of candy.

Chocolate on James’ long list of toppings includes pretzels, Reese’s Pieces, chopped up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Skor bits, crushed M&M’s, gummy bears, sprinkles, biscotti bits, peanuts – the list goes on.

With your ice cream all decked out in toppings, it’s time to eat.

chocolat

For having only spent a year on the Hamilton food scene, Chocolat on James has truly made its mark. Whether you’re craving chocolate, coffee, ice cream, or all three, Chocolat on James is your destination. It’s the perfect spot for a family outing or even a first date.

No matter what you’re looking for, this triple threat has a little something for everyone.