Located in downtown Decatur, Chai Pani serves up some of Atlanta's most innovative, delicious, and affordable Indian cuisine. Chai Pani specializes in Indian street food in a casual atmosphere, with an amazing interior strewn with murals and even a pan puri cart. With vegan and vegetarian options on its menu ranging from their creamy Saag Paneer, all the way to their delicious Gulab Jamun, this is a must-try for anyone who loves Indian food. Be sure to bring some friends (even the vegan and vegetarian ones) when you head down this weekend.

Chaat (Appetizers and Plates to Share)

Chaat is a family of savory snacks served from stalls or food carts across India. Chai Pani brings a selection of crunchy, spicy, sweet, and brightly flavored snacks to share with your dinner party. I recommend trying the SPDP (Sev Puri & Dahi Puri) which are puffed-up puris filled with sweet yogurt, green and tamarind chutneys, potatoes, onions, sev, and finished with fresh cilantro on top. I cannot talk about appetizers without talking about the fresh, warm naan. These are the perfect appetizers for the meal to come, and I'd recommend trying plenty of Chaat to share as the majority are vegan options. 

Entrées

Chai Pani does not disappoint with its entrée selection. Although you might be tempted to order the classic Butter Chicken, I strongly recommend trying the Chicken Kathi Roll. It's made of a spicy masala chicken rolled in a griddled paratha with egg, Desi slaw, green chutney, red onion, and cilantro, served with a side of Maggi hot & sweet ketchup. There is even an option to substitute the chicken with organic paneer to accommodate the vegetarians. This is one of the most authentic takes on Indian street food you can get in Atlanta.

For those looking for a Thali-style meal served with basmati rice, daal, raita, masala slaw, and papadums, I recommend the Saag Paneer. It's made of spinach simmered with cumin, garam masala, fenugreek, tomatoes, paneer, and a dash of cream, an amazing vegetarian meal. These entrées are best-enjoyed family-style with a side of naan. Pro tip: order a Mixed Vegetable Uttapam to share. It's topped with corn, peas, onion, cilantro, curry leaf, ginger, and chillies, and served with sambar and coconut chutney – all while being a great vegan option. Uttapams are savory crepes made from rice and lentil batter with a variety of toppings, and they are well worth the wait.

Drinks and Desserts

Looking to quench your thirst? Look no further than the unique drink menu featuring everything from refreshing Lassis to unique Indian sodas. The Mango Lassi is a refreshing chilled yogurt drink with sweet mango pulp and cardamom, a sweet and creamy complement to the dishes you will try. Thums Up is a cola drink popular in India that is arguable better than Coke. For those looking for a sparkling and carbonated lemon-lime drink, Limca is also available to sample.

To end your meal, look to the array of sweet desserts Chai Pani offers. My personal favourite is the Gulab Jamun. It's a traditional dessert made of milk dumplings fried in pure ghee and soaked in rose-cardamom syrup. It's then topped with almonds and pistachios, making a sweet ending to your visit.

From its lively atmosphere to its fresh, delicious Indian dishes to an abundance of vegan and vegetarian options, Chai Pani will be a favorite for those looking for the best Indian spot in Atlanta. With all the diverse options on its menu, you'll be sure to come back for more.