From Mardi Gras to St. Paddy’s Day, St. Louis knows how to combine their love for food and drinks with their holiday celebrations. And here at Spoon University, all holidays are an excuse to eat.

bakery

So, for those of you who love your Earth as much as you love your cupcakes, make your way to Cherokee Street and check out Whisk: A Sustainable Bakeshop.

In November 2012, Whisk opened its doors to the St. Louis community, offering an alternative to artificially manufactured baked goods. To incorporate their mission, which is to be as “green” as possible in all aspects of their bakeshop, Whisk purchased pre-owned furniture and appliances, utilized repurposed wood and used VOC-free paint. They also began composting their food waste for local farmers and gardens in 2013.

bakery

Photo by Amy Donkel

As far as ingredients are concerned, Whisk purchases their produce and dairy products directly from local farms while incorporating seasonal flavors into their constantly-changing menu of baked goods. From scones to bottomless coffee, you can satisfy your sweet tooth and get a solid coffee-buzz for under $5. Hello, broke college student, I am talking to you.

bakery

Photo by Amy Donkel

A customer favorite is the chocolate chip bacon cookie pictured below. It is the perfect combination of sweet, salty and just a little savory. Yes, you may have tried bacon on cupcakes and famous St. Louis donuts, but you are surely missing out if you haven’t tried this cookie.

bakery

Photo by Amy Donkel

Whisk offers gluten-free options, such as crumb cake and French Macarons. They also have plenty of vegan goodies, like ginger cookies, brownies, and pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes.

bakery

Stop by Whisk Bakery from Wednesday through Sunday, 9am to 5pm, to support a local St. Louis bakery while celebrating our beautiful Earth!