One of my favorite things in life is coffee, and with that comes loving coffee shops. Luckily for Montclair State students, we're just a short drive or long walk away from a number of student-friendly cafes equipped with Wifi and good quality espresso to get us through our work. While there's a Starbucks a short distance from campus, it's time to take a look at the real hidden gems that any coffee lover can appreciate in and around Montclair.

1. Crazy Mocha

This cafe just opened its doors on Bloomfield Ave this past October. Crazy Mocha is the perfect place to sit and do work for hours on end without interruption. You'll always be able to find a seat, the Wifi is fast and there are plenty of outlets. The coffee is always good (even the house blend) and they even carry Montclair Bread Company sandwiches!

2. Java Love Coffee Roasting Co.

Settled away on Bellvue Avenue right off of Valley Road is Java Love Coffee Roasting Co. This place can get pretty busy at peak hours, making it hard to find a seat. The staff is super friendly and the whole shop has a warm atmosphere. And what they sometimes lack in seating they make up for with quality coffee, good Apple Cider Donuts and quick Wifi.

3. Trend Coffee & Tea House

This place is a hybrid between a sit-down lunch place and an internet cafe. The atmosphere is so relaxed you're bound to feel less stressed, even if you're doing work. Their Wifi is sufficient and their coffee and tea selection is so welcoming during midterms and finals. You can also pick up a crepe while you're studying or listen to live music at their open-mic nights!

4. Groov Cafe and Juice Bar

Groov is the kind of place you might imagine yourself going to after yoga one day to get a fresh green juice and some vegan breakfast. While they do have good Wifi here, it's a cafe more suited for meeting with a study group. The tables seem better for eating than for taking notes, but it's still a good place to work. They also have a mix of live music a few nights each week, which is perfect when you need to take a break right off campus.

5. ANT Bookstore & Cafe

ANT isn't in Montclair, but it's only a 10 minute drive from campus on Clifton Ave in Clifton. They have Wifi and since it's a bookstore, you'll have a great atmosphere to do work in. Plus they have cheap Turkish tea (for only $1!) and some light snacks to get you through your studying.

6. The Fine Grind - A Coffee Bar

Again, this cafe is not in Montclair, but it's right up the road from campus in Little Falls. The Fine Grind is yet another perfect place where you can get a latte or lunch and use their Wifi to do your work. 

7. Bluestone Coffee Company

Bluestone is the type of place you'd go if you wanted to do some casual work or just hang out. In fact, Jerry Seinfeld even took Stephen Colbert here for one of his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. With a solid coffee selection and pretty good Wifi, it's definitely worth checking out.

There's no need to subject yourself to stale Green Mountain coffee or sub-par Au Bon Pain lattes from campus anymore. Skip the Starbucks and go support local businesses in and around Montclair instead!