Broxton Brewery & Public House is Westwood's newest neighborhood beer bar and eatery. The Spoon team here at UCLA got a behind-the-scenes look at what makes Westwood's Broxton Brewery run. From insight into the concept behind "California comfort food" to seeing how some of the dishes are made (and tasting them!), we learned all about this neighborhood spot.

The Space

Vaibhav Aggarwal

We talked to general manager Lisanne Magnus about the space and the kind of atmosphere they wanted to create. The first thing you notice about Broxton Brewery is the striking building, which "was one of the first buildings to go up in Westwood when it was still just a plot of flat land. This place has been here since 1929." Lisanne talked about the inclusive and inviting environment: "We’re a family friendly, casual brew pub - we want it to be a place for absolutely everyone." The main goal? "Turn it into a beer bar and keep it Westwood."

The Culinary Inspiration

Vaibhav Aggarwal

As far as the food goes, "we do what we are calling 'California comfort food.' We got your burgers, mac and cheese, ribs, banana pudding, chocolate mousse. The most popular item on the menu is the fried chicken sandwich." The inspiration behind these comfort food dishes comes from Southern cooking but has a bit of California flare as well. 

Vaibhav Aggarwal

Chef Kyle Brown's favorite dishes are the shrimp and grits and banana pudding. What elevates the food beyond your typical comfort food? According to the chef, "we use a lot of seasonal ingredients, locally sourced, sustainable. We are very vegan-friendly. Unlike other restaurants, we want to put a lot of forethought into what we present vegans." Vegans, rejoice!

The Food

Vaibhav Aggarwal

We were able to try the shrimp and grits, mac and cheese, ribs with a side of sesame snap beans, and banana pudding for dessert. Let's start with the chef's favorite, the shrimp and grits. The shrimp is marinated in blackening seasoning, flambéed in whiskey, and combined with cream and butter to create a rich sauce. The shrimp is served with deliciously cheesy grits and garnished with pickled peppers. Onto my favorite, the mac and cheese. A combination of smoked gouda and smoke sauce adds a unique flavor to the dish. Combined with pickled jalapeños and crispy onions, this mac and cheese hits all the right notes of creaminess, acidity, and crunch. Moving onto the most unique dish: baby back ribs. Broxton uses a special charcoal oven (only four restaurants in LA own one) to give these babies an incredibly smokey flavor. The banana pudding was the perfect way to end this meal. Broxton Brewery also offers cocktails and tons of beers on tap, including their very own beer brewed in-house.

Vaibhav Aggarwal

As a first-timer at Broxton Brewery & Public House, I definitely got the comfortable, inclusive feel of the place. It is a great place to take your family, chill with friends, or watch a football game. Lisanne summarized Broxton best: "Why should people come to this restaurant? They should come here if they wanna have a good beer and a good time."