Brilliant Coffee Company

Brilliant Coffee Company, the charming café snuggled between the popular Mexican eatery Social Cantina and newly opened NOURISH Bar, is the only shop in Bloomington that possesses a state-of-the-art coffee maker from Denmark as well as an inclusive and diverse menu. With support from Bloomington's thriving restaurant community during Covid-19, owners Brett, Sue, and David were determined to create a modern café that boasted a menu consisting of everything from hand-spun seasonal gelato and spiked coffee to a variety of pastries, many of which are gluten-free. One of the first things you see when you walk in is a unique, handcrafted coffee bar accompanied by small touches of Hawaiian charm. Brett and Sue, head pastry chef at both Brilliant Coffee Company and NOURISH Bar, have brought a taste of their original home in Hawaii to Bloomington. 

Natalie Jacobi

Coffee

Brilliant Coffee Company certainly lives up to the name, as their specialty drinks can be served hot or cold and range from drip coffee to caramel macchiatos. All less expensive and tastier than the closest Starbucks! And that’s not including the popular “spiked” beverages, which are served all throughout the day. 

Erica Guberman

This is a call to all basic pumpkin spice lovers. They are currently serving a Pumpkin SPIKED Latte! With or without alcohol, that is the fall energy we need. We were lucky enough to try the seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte, which was served piping hot, topped with whipped cream and Heath bar. Such a unique twist to a classic drink. I can’t imagine a pumpkin spice “anything” now without thinking of adding my favorite toffee based chocolate. Drinking the coffee was almost as fun as watching the eatery’s state-of-the-art coffee maker that is operated hands-free and from an iPad, providing a one-of-a-kind experience that you can’t find anywhere else in Bloomington.

Natalie Jacobi

Pastries

Brilliant Coffee provides its customers with delicious pastries ranging from the classic Cream Cheese Covered Cinnamon Roll to Hawaiian seasonal specialties like Manapua, a Hawaiian sweet bread filled with filled pork and spices and topped with black sesame seeds. While the Manapua pork bun might not appear to be a breakfast food at first glance, it was filling, flavorful, and the best bite we tried all morning. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it's a great pastry!

Natalie Jacobi

We then branched out into the gluten-free options which included chocolate cookies and a mochi walnut brownie. Both of which were moist, sweet, and something I would love to pair with my daily morning coffee. 

Some of the other amazing pastries included cranberry scones, cream cheese-filled pumpkin muffins, and a caramel cinnamon roll. I wish fall flavors were acceptable all year because these sweets were to-die-for. Get them while you can!

Natalie Jacobi

Gelato

Gelato is extremely hard to come by these days, especially in Bloomington. So Brilliant Coffee decided to be the first café to offer hand-spun gelato. We tried the purple ube, pumpkin, and matcha gelatos, all of which are packaged in pints and available for purchase (which I would recommend). Even if your favorite flavor isn't part of the daily rotation in the case, chances are you can probably find it in a pint to go!

Erica Guberman

The purple ube, which is a type of sweet potato, pleasantly surprised me as it was sweet and light in consistency, making it the perfect way to end our visit. I mean, how beautiful is that serving of purple gelato!?

Natalie Jacobi

They also have an amazing selection of rotating fall flavors including pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, salted caramel, and MORE. 

Natalie Jacobi

During this difficult time of Covid-19, Brilliant Coffee Company is another example of a local Bloomington restaurant that continually provides for its employees. It also reinforces the need to support local businesses, as Brilliant Coffee’s unique spin on classic breakfast items will always be desired. When you end up going and decide you want more, head over to their sister restaurant, NOURISH Bar. An entirely gluten-free, fresh restaurant that provides healthy meals that will leave you feeling full and happy. From soups and salads to paninis and poke! Check out NOURISH Bar's Instagram to learn more!

Natalie Jacobi

Brilliant Coffee Company is constantly adding new flavors to their gelato, coffee, and pastry menu. Follow Brilliant Coffee's Instagram to stay up to date on the daily selection. What a perfect spot for deciding what you are in the mood for, hot or cold? They have you covered either way, at any time of the day! Be sure to purchase their merch, coffee, and pints after you enjoy your in-store coffee and gelato!

Sunday - Thursday: 8AM - 8PM

Friday & Saturday: 8AM - 10PM