Another great thing about sandwiches? The bread. Or in this case, the arepa. Today we’re exploring the Venezuelan take on the sandwich, which pops flavor packed fillings between two fluffy corn cakes. The cakes are tinted with sweet corn flavor and are seared on the outside giving them a crusty warm exterior. They certainly give bread a run for its money.

Now that it’s been established that corn cakes make for a delectable base, let’s discuss the interior. While Delicias stuffs their patties with a variety of options, ranging from avocado chicken salad to chorizo and pico de gallo, I’m partial to the Pabellon. Order this and you’ll be delivered an overstuffed package brimming with shredded beef, black beans, sweet plantains and cotija cheese. Peaking through every braised meaty bite are hints of the sugary caramelized plantains and whispers of salty cotija. Its like sweet and savory are on a see-saw and are at a dead-standstill, perfectly balanced. Be sure to accompany this ‘wich with a pile of napkins or a friend who won’t judge you for being excessively messy because this will get dirty. But hey, a little mess never hurt anyone.

cheap

address: 40th and Locust, 35th and Market

hours: check twitter @Phillydelicias