Not sure what you want to eat? Don’t worry, Al has got you covered. At Wan’s in Allston, he’ll make you a sandwich that is out-of-this-world amazing and made specifically for you. It’s called the Hush and as Al describes it, it is an expression of art.

No two Hushes are the same. Inspiration for each sandwich comes from what Al is feeling in that moment as well as your aura. The Hush can not be defined because, according to Al, it “changes every second of every minute of every day.” The flavor combinations may seem unusual, but trust Al – he knows what he’s doing.

sandwich

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Wan’s may not seem like anything special with its unassuming exterior, and a storefront sign that looks like a play on the Vans logo. However, once you walk through the door and meet Al, you know you are in for some delicious food. He is welcoming, authentic and has a captivating personality. Many of the customers are regulars and I definitely can see why.

Don’t let the fact that they’re not artisanal masterpieces scare you away. Turns out your kindergarten teacher was right when she told you to never judge a book by its cover. It’s messy exterior is part of the charm, and this sandwich is not to be missed if you find yourself in the Allston area.

sandwich

Photo courtesy of @mikewendt on Instagram

The Hush is a sandwich that is so secretive, they can’t even show it on the menu. When you come back for a second visit, which you undoubtedly will, try out some of their other sandwiches. You can’t go wrong with any of Al’s creations, but for your first experience, The Hush is definitely the way to go.

Don’t worry for a second that you won’t like it because, trust me, you will. And on the extremely off chance that you’re not satisfied – which again, won’t happen – that’s fine. Just let Al know and he will make you another Hush or a different item on the menu.

Word to the wise for those “people” who don’t eat meat: The Hush will have meat on it. When we asked if it was vegetarian friendly the response was straight up laughter.

sandwich

Gif courtesy of imgflip.com

So, if you are a vegetarian who will make an exception for the experience – like my anonymous friend who came with me – then definitely check out The Hush. Al mentioned a couple of vegetarians who stop by every time they’re in town. It’s called The Hush for a reason, no one but you and Al have to know you ate it.

Now for the moment we’ve all been waiting for: the sandwiches.

sandwich

Photo by Andrea Leelike

I am still not 100 percent sure of all of the things on the first sandwich, but it doesn’t even matter because it was that good. It had chicken salad – which I usually hate – pastrami, cranberry sauce, lettuce, tomato, bacon, russian dressing and potentially some other ingredients. When we asked Al what was in it he said, “It’s the Hush.” Not knowing makes it even more fun and lets the ingredients speak for themselves.

I would never in a million years made this sandwich for myself and I can, but it was absolutely incredible. The combination of flavors and textures made every bite a little different from the last. The sandwiches also huge, which is the only thing that kept me from eating it all in one sitting.

sandwich

Photo by Andrea Leelike

The second sandwich was completely different than the first. It had steak, swiss, lettuce, red onion, spices and ranch dressing. Another combination that I would never choose for myself, but with incredible bursts of flavor in every bite. While it may seem a little more boring that the first, the spice mix that Al used was unlike anything I had ever eaten before. The more you ate the further the flavors developed. It was so hard to stop eating even though I was beyond full.

My anonymous vegetarian friend broke the rules and ended up loving both sandwiches – so clearly, they’re worth it. If you’re looking to spice up your food game, go to Wan’s. The Hush will have you going back time and time again for a sandwich you can’t find anywhere else.