A couple of weeks ago, Boston’s Tasty Burger invited Spoon AU to their new location in Shaw to taste their menu, meet the owner David DuBois and learn about the restaurant. With 5 Boston locations, this is the first location outside of Massachusetts for the brand.

The restaurant is consistently on lists about the best places to eat in Boston, and it is easy to see why. They have great food and drink, a neighborhood atmosphere and it’s perfect for a college student’s wallet.

burger

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

DuBois’s whole idea is adapting the brand to the neighborhood around the restaurant. No two Tasty Burgers are the same. Each one is carefully curated to fit in the surrounding neighborhood’s aesthetic and culture. Shaw’s, for example, is decorated with photos of graffiti that one could find a couple of blocks from the restaurant. There are no photos of the White House or the Washington Monument because that doesn’t fit with Shaw.

That being said, there are symbols that connect all the Tasty Burger locations: a Pulp Fiction reference, white wood paneling, a coke bottle chandelier and a bull’s head.

burger

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

The Shaw location is located on the first floor of the newly renovated Atlantic Plumbing apartment building, only a few minutes walk from the U St corridor and adjacent to Howard’s campus.

burger

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

They are the first Tasty Burger location to serve alcoholic milkshakes and they have the “starving student” special: a burger, fries and a can of beer for $10. Spoon AU was able to try the Rise ‘N Shine burger. A cheeseburger topped with a fried egg, bacon and ketchup. For an extra $3 you can get fries and a soft drink. Making this entire meal only $8.95.

The burger was juicy and perfectly seasoned. The egg was still a bit runny and the bacon was crisp. All in all, a perfect burger.

burger

Photo courtesy of @Spoon_AU on Instagram

So if you’re in the Shaw or U St area and you need a good, cheap meal. Then head on over to the newest neighborhood spot. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.