We all have a special place in our hearts for the beloved restaurants on Main Street that we depend on throughout the semester. Newark Deli and Bagels has cured many hangovers and nachos from Klondike Kate’s never fails to relieve stress after a hard week. Even with all the choices, after a long 15 weeks it’s totally normal to get bored of our limited selection. So  for the times when you’re craving something new, the Border Café is the place to go.

Border Cafe

Photo by Rachael Piorko

The Border Café prides itself on its Tex-Mex and Cajun cooking. The giant “eat” sign in the front invites you in and the authentic food and extensive margarita menu keeps you coming back. The rustic ambiance and the usual long line of patrons are the first indications that you are in for a delicious meal. Don’t let the usual fifteen minute wait deter you from this place. It is well worth it.

The menu is divided into two sections: down home Cajun cooking and authentic Tex-Mex which gives an wide variety of selections that will please any palate. The Cajun menu offers southern classics like crawfish etouffee (crawfish tails sautéed with vegetables in a brown sauce over rice) and Louisiana Gumbo. From the Mexican side you can order all kinds of quesadillas, fajitas and the most delicious corn and black bean empanadas with roasted red pepper sauce (a great choice for vegetarians). When ordering you can stick to one side of the menu or, like me, you can mix it up and get an appetizer from one cuisine and an entrée from the other. The two go together like Heisenberg and Jesse Pinkman.

Border Cafe

Photo by Rachael Piorko

If the menu hasn’t already convinced you, the prices definitely will. Most entrees are under $10 making it perfect for a college student’s appetite and wallet. So whether you’re shopping for summer clothes at the mall or just need a break before finals, be sure to stop at the Border Café, Newark’s hidden treasure.

P.S Don’t forget a side of corn bread. It ‘s life changing.

Location: 483 Stanton Christiana Rd, Newark, DE 19713

Hours of operation: 11:30am-11:00pm