Driving by it may not catch your eye, however once you enter Moxie you are transported to a fine dining establishment that could be in any metropolitan city. Owners Mark and Victoria have created a restaurant with an ambiance that is warm, welcoming, and sophisticated. The entire meal was of such high quality, and it was difficult to choose from the eight Artisan Woodfire Grill pizzas, meats and seafood from the Woodfire Grill, specialty dressings and glazes, and more. I vow to return on a Friday where the bar offers half priced drinks from 3 to 6 pm and a live Jazz band.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

For our first appetizer we ordered the Pan Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer. I am a huge fan of Ahi Tuna and Moxie’s version surely did not disappoint. The extremely flavorful slices of tuna were white and black sesame crusted, and on a bed of seaweed salad. The seaweed salad added flavor and crunch that was scarfed down in minutes. Pickled ginger, wasabi, and tangy yet sweet Asian vinaigrette accompanied the Pan Seared Ahi Tuna. This appetizer is a must-have and not just because the vinaigrette perfectly complimented the tuna and sides.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

Our second dish was the Fire Cracker Shrimp, a Moxie specialty. Medium sized and juicy shrimp were coated in the Fire Cracker sauce, which contained a kick that added flavor and spice to the flash fried shrimp. They weren’t too spicy, don’t worry. We just couldn’t get enough.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

Our final appetizer was the Wood Roasted Baked Brie. If you are a baked brie fan, you will melt at the sight of this marvelous creation. Surrounded by slices of perfectly toasted, char marked Artisan bread, the smell of the dish alone is enough to put a smile on your face. Gooey baked brie, topped with wild berry compote and toasted almonds, was a combination I had never tasted prior. The sweet compote complimented the cheese, only making the dish increasingly flavorful. I was blown away at the flavor and texture of the cheese and toppings.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

At Spoon University we try to eat mindfully and healthily (sometimes) so we only ordered one Artisan Woodfire Pizza from the Moxie menu, their Old Word Sausage. It was so difficult to choose from their various pizzas, but as I sunk my teeth into the first bite, I knew we picked a winner. This pizza was topped with chorizo and provolone, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. Flavorful and well-cooked sausage sat atop an extremely flavorful roasted garlic sauce. Moxie bakes the dough from imported double zero Italian flour, which means it is very finely sifted and of the highest quality, and it shows. Perfectly thin dough and crust were grilled to perfection in a pizza generously sized. I recommend this dish as shared entrée or appetizer for the table.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

As we waited in excitement for our entrées, Moxie’s Beer Bread and olive oil dipping sauce were brought to the table. The pastry chef on staff created a perfect combination of toasted outside and soft dough inside. It was easy to pull apart the bread and dip into the 100% olive oil mixed with balsamic glaze, cheese shavings, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Every restaurant brings bread and oil to the table, but this was something straight out of an Italian bakery. Magnifico!

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

At Moxie, you can introduce one of many signature steak preparations or signature addition to your meat. These homemade, one-of-a-kind creations range from Gentleman Jack Peppercorn to caramelized onion to Moxie signature steak sauce. We chose to top our Filet Mignon with the Blackened Bleu signature steak preparation. It was juicy and flavorful from the meat and the Bleu cheese, and you could taste the charring and smokiness. As delectable and distinctive as the filet mignon was, I ordered it “medium” and I would recommend that steak lovers order it “medium-rare.”

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

Our second entrée was the South Louisiana Shrimp & Grits. This southern specialty was added to the menu after owner Mark was inspired by his travels and believed in a diverse and delicious menu for his restaurant. The plentiful shrimp were on a tower of grits molded into cakes, and drenched in flavorful gravy. The grits cakes were soft and moist on the inside, but kept their form even when cut. It was a curious dish that captivated my taste buds. It was a refreshingly modern taste on a southern classic.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

Although Moxie is a high-end establishment, and the prices reflect that standard of excellence and quality, patrons still get a bang for their buck. Each entrée is accompanied by a choice of two sides and we feasted on two salads, French Onion Soup, and White Truffle Mac & Cheese. The White Truffle Mac & Cheese was topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and you could smell and taste the aroma of the truffles. Moxie’s French Onion Soup was gooey and savory, as expected.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

As our bellies became increasingly stuffed, we moved onto the final and necessary course: dessert. Our first sweet course dish was a Classic Crème Brûlée, Moxie style. The creamy vanilla bean custard, topped with caramelized sugar was torched to perfection and complimented with a bit of jam.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

The second dessert we tasted, was something I did not know even existed: Chai-Spiced Cheesecake. It gained its name and flavor from a dash of Twinings chai tea. This large slice of cheesecake was creamy, not too dense yet not too fluffy, and was accompanied by perfectly baked ginger graham cracker crust. Whether you love cheesecake or usually opt out, it is a must-try.

Moxie

By Jason Cruz

Throughout the dining experience, I noticed no guests were ever rushed. Moxie created an atmosphere that made patrons want to stay and enjoy their meal and the company of friends and family. The quality of the food and service at Moxie was unrivaled, not just in Broome County, but of anywhere. I cannot recommend a fine dining establishment more.