Once again, Valentine’s Day has crept on us, the abundance of overly-sexual couples, red roses next to the fruit aisle in Publix, and the Cosmo snap stories entitled “How will you bed your crush on V Day?” popping up everywhere. Here in Gainesville, it seems like everyone is in love - people study “cuffing season” like a science and over-the-top isn’t good enough when it comes to planning a V Day dinner.

Instead of an elaborate (and expensive) Wednesday evening, here are the five best places to get non-cliche Valentine’s Day snacks in Gainesville. Perfect for the lowkey couple or gaggle of gals, these foods are far from the faux-love many experience on Valentine’s Day.

1. The Gelato Company

Mackenzie Patel

This downtown dive doesn’t only serve gelato - they also offer paninis, sparkling mate drinks, and *orgasmic* Nutella crepes. Their wrought-iron patio is homey and sweet, providing the perfect backdrop for cinnamon toast crunch gelato and French kissing.

The combo Pearl and I chose was Yerba Mate (a South American drink) and red velvet gelato. The Mate was Sparkling Cranberry Pomegranate flavor, and despite the “sparkling” part, it wasn’t as sweet as I expected - it was refreshing, like a boytoy before you’re realize how “meh” they are.

Mackenzie Patel

2. Pop-a-Top Corner Store

Mackenzie Patel

Retro Gainesville is thriving in this East University location - with a vintage sign and general store feel, Pop-a-Top is an underrated place for a pleasant Valentine’s Day.

Surprisingly, their homemade potato salad and chickpea salad are incredible, the mini containers cute but filling - and they range from $1.50 to $3. We chose a Thai Coffee latte to accompany the side salads (and to add exotic Eastern spice to your evening).

Mackenzie Patel

3. Hyppo Pop

Marina Burke

Hyppo Pops are all sweet and no savory, but we they’re a V Day essential if you’re wondering around downtown. And although the pops are sugar Queens, flavors such as Haberno Mango and Ginger Dragonfruit break the popsicle mold.

Hyppo Pops are also so damn photogenic - the University of Florida chapter used them to photograph our member bio page. Just imagine what your Valentine’s Day with a beaux or broad would look like...

Marina Burke

4. Flaco’s Cuban Bakery

Mackenzie Patel

Flaco’s isn’t just perfect for that drunk late night snack when you’re stumbling out of Piano Bar- it’s also the perfect place to grab a casual snack this Valentine’s Day. Enjoy an arepa and accompany it with a quesito (cream cheese in fried dough with a dusting of sugar). These quesitos are the optimal sweet snack for Valentine’s Day, whether it’s after going out or over some coffee with the girls. Pair the pastry with an arepa or one of Flaco’s many delicious sandwiches.

Mackenzie Patel

5. Emiliano’s Cafe

Mackenzie Patel

Who needs a guy when Emiliano can be your new man? Emiliano’s brings an enticing world of Latin flavors to Downtown Gainesville. From brunch to dinner, Emiliano’s has it all. We enjoyed their tostones and Chipotle Brownie Cake.

Tostones are twice-fried plantain slices and an all time favorite of ours. The cake featured a unique balance of flavors as the rich chocolate was complemented by the chili flavors. Not feeling an actual snack? Emiliano’s also has a great selection of dessert wines and cocktails. What would Valentine’s Day be like without a fun drink?  

Mackenzie Patel

A Valentine's Day In Gainesville

Mackenzie Patel

Enjoys these snacks this Valentine’s Day! Whether it’s with a loved one or with your fave group of friends, Valentine’s is all about eating good food, having a drink and pretending like you don’t have an exam the next day. Downtown is the perfect place to wander around with your favorite gal-pals and complain about that guy that totally ghosted right before this Hallmark holiday.