Queso, fajitas, tacos, and nachos. Whether it's game day or Tequilla Tuesdays, some days there's nothing better than food smothered in queso and oversized margaritas. One of the best parts about going to school in Oklahoma is the carryover of an amazing blend of Mexican food from just over the border in Texas. Whether you're from Oklahoma, Texas, or any other state, everyone in Norman can appreciate quality TexMex food.

1. Chuy's

Originating in the 1980's out of Austin, Texas, Chuy's now has locations almost all across the United States. You can't blame someone for wanting to eat TexMex food as good as theirs. All restaurants have funky and colorful decorations and sell their infamous t-shirts. They are famous for their green chili sauce and pride their fajita marinade on being an old South Texas family recipe. If you are looking for something unique the next time you visit try the Chuychanga or the Stacked Enchiladas.

760 N Interstate Dr, Norman, OK 73072

2. Tarahumara's Mexican Cafe

Former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield once self-proclaimed himself, via Instagram bio, as "Tarahumara's biggest fan." Although he may not frequent this restaurant as much as he used to, it is still a favorite among many in the Norman area. The fajita servings are large enough to take home and eat the next day, the service is amazingly fast, and the queso is FREE. Tarahumara's also gives free sopapillas for dessert when you order a meal.

702 N Porter Ave, Norman, OK 73071

3. Pepe Delgados 

This is the perfect restaurant if you are looking for authentic TexMex food just steps away from class or the library. It's prime location on Campus Corner makes it the perfect weekday lunch spot. Their super-sized nacho plates make actually going to class worth it too. Pepe Delgados has quick and easy order-at-counter serving with a bright and fun environment.

4. Ted's Cafe Escondido

Another favorite of many Norman and Oklahoma residents, Ted's has some of the best TexMex food in the area. The Cafe Escondido sign is easily recognizable throughout the state. Their free queso, sopapillas, and buttery tortillas make the long wait for a table completely worth it. Ted's quick and welcoming service just adds to the great environment, and even more amazing food. Also if you are looking to embarrass your friend for their birthday in front of the whole restaurant, Ted's can make it happen with loud singing and a large sombrero.

700 N Interstate Dr, Norman, OK 73072

5. El Chico Cafe

Located inside the Sooner Mall, this is the perfect quick-stop TexMex restaurant when finishing out your shopping. Originating in the 1940's in Dallas, Texas, El Chico has spread far across the region serving homemade tamales and their amazing queso. El Chico's famous Mexican apple pie is an amazing dessert and must-try after a TexMex meal.

3439 W Main St, Norman, OK 73072