Epic late night cravings are the unavoidable result of staying awake longer on weekends. Whether you have a hankering for something salty, sweet, spicy or savory, Winston-Salem has plenty of options that’ll surely satisfy your ravenous quest for food.

1. Cookout

late night

Photo by Kristen Reinert

Locations: 339 Akron Drive & 4505 Kester Mill Road
Hours: Monday-Thursday & Sunday 10am-3am, Friday & Saturday 10am-4am

If a pledge driver had a nickel for every time he got asked to go to Cookout, he would be rich. Cookout is the southern staple of affordable and delicious drive-thru food. The best part? It’s open until 4 am on weekends.

While Cookout is best-known for their fresh, backyard-style burgers and creamery-style, hand-spun milkshakes, the menu also offers tasty hot dogs and various chicken and BBQ options.

The milkshakes are another story: 40 different flavors ranging from peanut butter banana to Oreo mint to peach cobbler. Truly complete your meal by ordering one of the tempting sides of fries, hush puppies, onion rings, chili, or slaw. Pro tip: a “Cookout tray” comes with not one but two sides. Happy calorie counting!

2. Burke Street Pizza

late night

Photo courtesy of Regina Hufton

Locations: 1140 Burke Street
Hours: Sunday-Tuesday 11am-10pm, Wednesday & Thursday 11am-12am, Friday & Saturday 11am-3am

Burke Street being open until 3am on Fridays and Saturdays is Winston-Salem’s best-kept secret. This isn’t your average Domino’s pizza, we’re talking freshly-baked, NY-style authenticity. No need to worry if you can’t make it out of bed, they also deliver.

This authentic pizza joint offers an impressive selection of specialty pizzas, hearty hero sandwiches, and Italian desserts.  You may even start off your feast with one of their generous appetizers such as the garlic knots, mozzarella sticks, or jumbo wings.

3. Jimmy The Greek Kitchen

late night

Photo by Kristen Reinert

Location: 2806 University Parkway
Hours: Monday-Wednesday 6am-9pm, Thursday-Sunday 24 hours

24-hour breakfast service on weekends is a college kid’s dream come true. Conveniently located on University Parkway, this Greek family-owned restaurant brings friendly service and inexpensive dishes to the table.

Their main menu includes a variety of Greek and American-inspired appetizers, pastas, sandwiches, wings, seafood options, wraps, and quesadillas. If you love breakfast food at any hour of the day, Jimmy has got you covered.  Omelets, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, french toast, grits, hash browns… the possibilities are endless.

4. Subway

late night

Photo by Giselle Palladino

Location: Hearn Plaza in Davis Residence Hall
Hours: 24/7

There is a reason Wake Forest had the highest grossing Subway restaurant in the world in 2011.  It’s hard to resist the enticing aroma of freshly-baked bread while walking across Hearn Plaza late at night.

Simply use an old gold swipe to receive a 6″ sub, chips, and a fountain beverage.  If that’s not enough, Subway is attached to “The Pod” which offers refrigerated and frozen meal options, fresh fruit, snacks, and drinks at all hours of the night. I’ll take a meatball sub and Bagel Bites to-go, please.

5. Zick’s

late night

Photo by Giselle Palladino

Location: Hearn Plaza in Poteat Residence Hall
Hours: Sunday-Wednesday 11am-11pm, Thursday-Saturday 11am-2am

After a long night out, unwind by playing a game of pool or foosball, watching a sports game on TV, or relax in one of the comfortable chairs while scarfing down pizza.  Zick’s offers pizzas, wings, salads, sodas, wine, and beer. Just a taste of late-night heaven.

6. Domino’s Pizza

late night

Photo courtesy of Aarthi Chezian

Location: 7821 N Point Boulevard
Hours: Sunday-Thursday 10am-2am, Friday & Saturday 10am-3am

And last but definitely not least… everyone’s favorite, Domino’s.  Build your own pizza or pasta, choose from a wide selection of specialty pizzas, or order a meaty sandwich and have it delivered right to your doorstep.

Add wings or boneless chicken to your order for a heartier meal or their famous “cinna stix” to satisfy your sweet tooth.  If you’ve never tried the stuffed cheesy bread, you’re missing out.

The Domino’s app has made delivery easier than ever.  With the simple touch of your fingertips, you can quickly order by using saved addresses and favorite menu items.  Track your order from when it’s placed to when it’s delivered down to the minute. This genius app makes hungry impatience much more manageable.

Looking for more ideas for late night snacking?