If you’ve ever stepped foot in the Limestone City, it’s clear we have our fair share of restaurants. It’s said that Kingston has the highest number of restaurants per capita, in all of Canada.

For most Queen’s students however, their experience of Kingston dining is limited to either what's on campus, or on Princess Street.

Don’t get me wrong, some of the best Kingston restaurants can be found in the downtown core. But this city's culinary scene isn’t limited to just Princess Street and the surrounding areas. The vast array of food choices can be sort of overwhelming for newcomers to this town, so we’ve put together a list of the 5 restaurants outside of downtown you need to check out.

Toast and Jam Cafe

This relatively new breakfast and lunch joint opened in 2016 as an extension of Kingston’s beloved Bread and Butter Bakery. The rustic interior makes it the perfect place to go to for Sunday brunch, but get there early as it’s quickly becoming a go-to breakfast joint for townies and students alike. 

The menu is the perfect combination of breakfast and lunch favourites. Whatever you’re in the mood for, chances are they’ve got it. Their Breakfast Pizza, which comes topped with sausage and an egg, is my go-to. The best thing about Toast and Jam is that everything is made in house and from scratch. On your way out, stop by the bakery for a chocolate chuck cookie the size of your head.

The Wolfe Island Grill

While Wolfe Island isn’t technically in Kingston, a short ferry ride from downtown will take you to this fine waterfront establishment. While their patio is bustling throughout the summer months, the Grill is a happening place all year long.

Situated on the beautiful Wolfe Island, The Grill features a diverse menu of foods from the sea, as well as the mainland. With live music on weekends, you should definitely make a day trip out to the island. If you’re heading down in the fall, check out the Wolfe Island Corn Maze while you’re at it.

Bella Bistro

Located on Bath Road, on the outskirts of Kingston’s West End, sits this family-friendly neighbourhood restaurant. One of the many things that makes Bella Bistro a unique dining experience is their commitment to using local ingredients; it makes a world of difference. Plus, it’s owned and operated by the same chefs as Olivea downtown, so you know you can’t go wrong.

Sapporo Kingston Japanese Restaurant

If you're on the hunt for some good sushi in the Limestone City, look no further than Sapporo on Bath Road. This husband- and wife-owned restaurant has been feeding satisfied customers in the Calvin Park area for many years.

The sushi isn’t the only thing on the menu, but it’s by far their best offering. My go-to is the spicy yam tempura roll, but pretty much everything they serve will do the trick. The couple that runs things there are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet, so be sure to eat in if you have the time.

The Rose and Crown Family Restaurant and Pub 

Looking for that classic British pub, but you're too far from the many offerings of downtown? If you’re out near the Cataraqui Centre be sure to make a visit to the Rose and Crown. Their menu features pretty much everything you’d come to expect at a pub: nachos, meat pies, as well as an assortment of fried delicacies. But they’re most known for having some of the best fish and chips in town.

After dinner, be sure to visit the British Corner Shop which is attached to the main restaurant. The shop features a wide array of imported British candies and other treats. 

No matter where you are in Kingston, there's always a restaurant around the corner ready for you to drop in. Downtown has some great spots, but next time you're looking to go a little farther, think about trying one of these restaurants.