Over the summer, something terrible happened: UC Berkeley’s on-campus dining spots stopped serving fried foods. For some, this news had little to no effect on their daily lives; for others, however, this news was absolutely devastating.

Personally, the only reason I even had a meal plan sophomore year of college was so that I could conveniently buy tater tots and French fries between classes. Now, where am I supposed to get my oil-laden potatoes when I’m in a hurry?

Alas, there is hope. If you, like me, were horrified by the news of UC Berkeley’s focus on healthier on-campus food options, fear not. Here’s a list of where to get your fill of deep fried goodness in Berkeley:

Best Tater Tots: Phil’s Sliders

fried

Photo by Elise Hayashi

A crunchy, crispy fried shell gives way to the heavenly light and fluffy potato inside, and every bite invites a moan of delight.

Best Fries: Koja Kitchen

fried

Photo Courtesy of Bryan N. from Yelp

Close your eyes and imagine your dream fry. Is it waffle cut, topped with Korean BBQ beef, green onions, kimchi, drizzled with Japanese mayo and a spicy red sauce? If so, get your butt on over to Koja Kitchen. If you’re a vegetarian, go for the Cal Fries, waffle cut fries topped with Japanese mayo, red sauce and nori.

Best Mozzarella Sticks: BOBO Drinks

fried

Photo by Elise Hayashi

Melty mozzarella oozing out of an herbed, breaded casing, served with sweet and sour dipping sauce. Mmm. Need I say more? Spoon tip: To up your fried food game, order the BoBo Sampler.

Best Fried Chicken: Tigerlily Berkeley

fried

Photo Courtesy of Pete L. from Yelp

Although I cannot say for sure (cough cough pescetarian), I have it on good authority that Tigerlily Berkeley has the best fried chicken around. And paired with a waffle and tikka masala? Hands down, the best.

Best Fried Fish: Dot Island Grill

fried

Photo Courtesy of Cassie X. from Yelp

Light, crisp and fried to perfection, Dot Island’s fried fish is great on its own, paired with chips (aka french fries) or served with a house salad. Be sure to check their menu for daily deals to get the best price for your fried fish.

Best Tempura: Manpuku

fried

Photo Courtesy of Lorien L. from Yelp

Crispy but not oily, the tempura at Manpuku maintains the integrity of the fish and vegetables it envelops, making for the perfect appetizer.

Best Potato Puffs: Gregoire’s

fried

Photo by Elise Hayashi

These tiny potato balls may not seem like much, but they’re always perfectly crispy and salty on the outside, light and puffy on the inside and more than filling enough for you to share with a friend.

So, Berkeley students, keep calm and eat your weight in fried goodies.