Ladies and gentleman, I’m about to let you in on a little secret. Located inside the Cowfish dance club in downtown Eugene is startup business Good Food, where you will find the highest quality happy hour sandwiches and appetizers for the lowest price you’ve ever seen. How low of a price you ask? Five bucks. That’s correct, everything on the menu is just five dollars (and only $4 on Mondays for you extra cheap bastards).

Drawing on 20 years of restaurant experience, chef and owner Julian Johnston (though most know him as Ju) is doing a public service by serving up inexpensive, foodie approved sandwiches and appetizers prepared with quality ingredients such as Long’s meat and Bread Stop bread. For the uninformed, that’s healthy, sustainable, and organically sourced material. You know, the good stuff. But enough already, let’s get to the food. Here are a few items from the menu.

Salmon Horseradish Dip

Photo by Judy Holtz

As an appetizer or a quick snack, you’ll want to try the creamy smoked salmon and horseradish dip served on crostini. Topped with capers and red onions, this dish combines smoky and tangy flavors with smooth and crunchy textures.

Cuban

Photo by Judy Holtz

If you’re real hungry, you may want to go with the Cuban. Shredded pork, ham, Swiss, pickles and mustard are pressed between two slices of a Cuban roll then grilled to perfection. Chef Julian does this classic so much justice that I’d argue it’s as good as any Cuban I’ve ever had. That’s saying a lot.

Chipotle Sandwich

Photo by Judy Holtz

I saved my personal favorite for last. Here we have the out-of-control bacon chipotle chicken sandwich. Slow braised chipotle chicken, bacon, onion, tomato and spinach are piled high on a thick hoagie roll. This bad boy is smoky, fatty, tender and spicy. It’s also served with chips and cilantro aioli to cool things off if you’re a wimp.

There you have it, you’re now in the know about one of the lesser known spots in Eugene. You’re welcome. Good Food is undoubtedly the best happy hour bar food you can get downtown, especially when you consider the quality and price. In addition to the Cowfish location, Chef Julian is currently preparing to open a food cart and take his business to the streets of Eugene. So do yourself a flavor and keep an eye out for that real soon.

Chef with Cuban

Photo by Judy Holtz

cheap

Location: 62 W Broadway, Eugene OR 97401
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 5pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun: Closed