It's no secret that New Orleans is home to some of the best food in the country. Personally, brunch is my favorite meal of the day. The list of brunch options in the city can be overwhelming. I'm here to put you at ease and give you my top six favorite spots for brunch in New Orleans as your beginner's guide.  

Saba

Rachel Sterling

After months of waiting, I finally got a reservation for Saba's infamous brunch. I was not disappointed. Starting off with their creamy hummus and freshly baked pita is a given. I also tried their pancakes. My perfectly cooked stack was topped with light lemon butter and cooked apples. The smoked salmon platter featured an array of fresh veggies and toppings. Overall, Saba's brunch was one to remember and I can't wait to go back again soon.

Satsuma

Rachel Sterling

Satsuma is a Tulane student favorite, and for good reason. I frequently spend my Saturday and Sunday mornings enjoying their iced latte and avocado toast.

Something you should look out for: their specials. Above was their Halloween special, pumpkin pancakes. The pancake was cooked to perfection, and the pumpkin flavoring was the perfect taste of fall. Without a doubt, Satsuma has some of the best brunch in New Orleans. There are options for even the pickiest eaters. Satsuma also offers a large vegan menu.

Willa Jean

Rachel Sterling

Willa Jean is a classic brunch spot in NOLA. Famous for their warm chocolate chip cookies (which I HIGHLY recommend getting), they also have some of the best and unique brunch options. You need their cornbread appetizer to share with the table, as the warm bread pairs perfectly with the cool syrup. The fried chicken biscuit is a must, as well as their avocado toast. Willa Jean is a very popular place to enjoy brunch in New Orleans, so I suggest going during the week or early on the weekends to avoid the wait. 

Birdy's Behind the Bower

Birdy's, a new spot in NOLA, is definitely worth checking out. The restaurant itself is so cute and the food is amazing. The menu offered special items that are hard to find elsewhere. They specialize in a breakfast dessert board, featuring their freshly baked pastries. I ordered the huevos rancheros, and they were some of the best I have ever had. It's obvious that Birdy's uses the freshest ingredients around. 

Camellia Grill

There truly is no place like Camellia Grill. Open for 75 years,  this restaurant is a New Orleans staple. My grandmother, who grew up in New Orleans, raves about Camellia Grill to this day. The environment of the restaurant is so friendly, and you feel transported in time sitting at the counter watching the chefs cook your meal. Whenever I'm in the mood for a cheesy omelette and perfectly golden hash browns, I make my way to Camellia Grill. If you have room for dessert, be sure to get a chocolate freeze. As someone who loves breakfast for dinner, it's important to include that they serve breakfast all-day

Toast

Last, but certainly not least is Toast. With locations both uptown and downtown, you're never too far from a great meal. It's nearly impossible to go to Toast without getting the aebelskivers: "puffed pancakes with powdered sugar & choice of sauce." Dipping a round, warm, and fluffy pancake in Nutella is absolutely mouth-watering. You could order these as an appetizer to share or for your meal. Other items to order are their omelettes and french toast.

There are so many more restaurants that I could add to this list, but I will leave you with this beginner's guide. You really can't go wrong when it comes to brunch in New Orleans!