Here at Jewlane, Hillel is a go-to place to celebrate the Jewish holidays while at school, as well as to hang out at and eat with friends. In the past year, there's been some change at Hillel–the turnover between restaurants HK NOLA and Rimon. Tulane students have been feeling nostalgic about the loss of HK NOLA, but we're trying to pull it together and be optimistic about Rimon. To say the least, it's been a war between the two, so here are some of the highlights from each restaurant.

HK NOLA

HK NOLA took pride in serving a variety of local, seasonal, and organic items; and its menu catered to all eaters, from vegans to full-blown carnivores. Open breakfast 'till dinner, HK NOLA served everything from rice bowls with your choice of protein to the basic avocado toast with a side of sweet potatoes. RIP. Needless to say, HK NOLA was extremely tempting, even when you had 15 WaveBucks to your name and the average HK NOLA meal was about 11. 

HK NOLA Staple Meals:

1. Rice Bowls

Hannah Litt

No matter who you are or what you eat, HK NOLA had a rice bowl for you. Topped with your choice of a fried egg, chicken, beef, or salmon, a rice bowl was the perfect lunch or dinner.

2. Jamerican Breakfast

Hannah Litt

Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey. Except that it's pastrami bacon, since HK NOLA kept it kosher. However, pastrami bacon still hit the spot, especially with the added avo toast. The Jamerican Breakfast never disappointed.

3. Super Rolls

Super rolls are a vegetarian's dream. With smoked sweet potatoes, sprouts, kale salad, quinoa, almonds, and Sriracha, these super rolls were a blast of flavor, especially paired with peanut sauce. 

Rimon

Hannah Litt

Tulane students are still learning the ropes at Rimon, but we're slowly but surely becoming used to the new restaurant. Focusing on Middle Eastern delicacies such as falafel and shawarma, Rimon also serves some HK NOLA classics, such as the go-to avocado toast. Now, instead of side salads that were served at HK NOLA, select dishes at Rimon come with a side from the salad bar, including a variety of pickled vegetables from pickled okra to kimchi. 

Rimon Staple Meals:

1. Falafel Plate

Crispy pieces of falafel on top of a bed of hummus and tahini make for a great, traditional Middle Eastern meal. Paired with freshly baked pieces of pita bread, this dish is a winner.

2. Sweet Potato Fries

Hannah Litt

Although they aren't your classic Rimon dish, this side is one of the best items on the menu. They are sweet with the perfect dash of salt and herbs, and I am not kidding when I say I could easily eat the entire plate alone.

3. Moroccan Eggplant Sandwich

This dish is about as rich and hearty as you can get at Rimon. In between slices of thick and fluffy focaccia bread lie eggplant, roasted peppers, a walnut spread, and caramelized onions, and it's served with a choice of the salad bar or veggie chips. If you're craving something heavy and your stomach is up for the challenge, this dish is for you.

Everyone knows that in New Orleans, food is a big deal, which means that changes in Tulane's on-campus food is, too. Hillel is one of the best places to eat on Tulane's campus, and the fact that it accepts WaveBucks makes it all the better. When push comes to shove, Rimon isn't all that bad, but we do miss our beloved HK NOLA. Hopefully Rimon will live up to HK NOLA's hype, as it set the bar pretty high.