Bartaco is Chapel Hill's newest taco joint. Walking into the restaurant is like stepping into a whimsical beachside eatery complete with upscale street food. The white-washed boarded interior with intricate woven basket light fixtures dangling from the ceiling is constantly filled with guests chatting over tacos and house-made margaritas. It’s the perfect place to sit down and hangout for lunch, dinner or just some casual drinks—you’ll instantly feel immersed in the exciting atmosphere. The indoor area spills over into comfortable outdoor seating with a similar bustling vibe. Both the indoor and outdoor areas feature bars equipped with numerous delicious margarita variations and cocktails.

Cara Hutto

As soon as we were seated inside, our waitress was quick to greet us and explain the menu to us. After much deliberation, we penciled in an order of guacamole, plantains, tuna poke and three tacos: falafel, pork belly and spicy chorizo. The guacamole came out just a few minutes after our order was placed and it was spectacular. The homemade tortilla chips were the perfect crunch for the hand-mashed avocado, lime juice, onions, cilantro and serrano chilies for a hint of spice.

Cara Hutto

After savoring the last creamy bites of guac, we were presented with a steaming bowl of fried plantains. Tossed in salt and cayenne and paired with a lime garlic aioli, the plantains were the perfect sweet and savory bite. Soon after, round three arrived: the tacos and tuna poke. The tacos were outstanding and the falafel was the crowd favorite—two falafel balls doused in traditional Greek-style tzatziki, wrapped up in a warm mini tortilla.

Cara Hutto

We didn’t stop there, the lively atmosphere and our encouraging waitress led us to the dessert menu and our decision was made: key lime pie and spiced chocolate pudding would top off the night. Both of the desserts arrived in mini mason jars and we couldn't get enough.

Cara Hutto

It was impossible to distinguish the winner between the two. The creamy chocolate pudding had the perfect pop of cinnamon spice and was topped with incredibly light whipped cream, crispy oats and hazelnuts. I’m usually not a huge fan of key lime pie, but I was blown away. The key lime custard supported by a graham cracker crust and crowned with vanilla whipped cream was a refreshingly unexpected way to finish off the evening. The small curls of lime zest created a lingering zinging sensation.

Cara Hutto

Overall, it was a 10/10 meal. So next time you’re craving some exceptional tacos and a beachy vibe, head over to Bartaco with a big group of friends for an unforgettable experience.