Bali is a little island in Indonesia that is more than just a honeymoon destination. After just a day of roaming the streets of Seminyak, laying by the beaches of Nusa Dua, and eating beside the rice terraces of Ubud, I noticed that Bali has something to offer to every type of traveler—especially the basic college girl.  I created a list of the many reasons why you should already be packing your sunscreen and booking a flight to Bali.  

Food

salad, chicken
Tara Shooshani

The food in Bali is a perfect blend of traditional Indonesian food (curries, fried rice, noodles), and the most trendy, flavorful meals you would expect to find on the shores of Malibu, not in Southeast Asia. Most restaurants have vegetarian and vegan options, extensive menus, and sleek interior design.

The best dishes I ate were the açaí bowls, vegetable curry, french toast, burgers, and some fried mini bananas with ice cream for dessert. So basically everything. Can you tell, I love this place?

cake, chocolate, cream
Tara Shooshani

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of food I found in Bali—at prices way less than in the US. A fresh smoothie costs maximum of $4, and a giant lunch for two often costs around $20. A college student's dream. The obvious result for me was that I ate way too much, but loved every minute. 

Shopping 

I observed three main types of stores in Bali: foreign name brands in giant malls, small boutiques lining the streets, and local storefronts everywhere else. While I avoided the name brands we have at home, I loved the small boutiques and the local shops.

The boutiques, mainly owned by Australians, sold clothes, accessories, and home goods. One store that has several Balinese locations, Bamboo Blonde, is the Brandy Melville of Bali. Kim Soo, a home goods store/cafe, has cute dorm decorations at a reasonable prices. 

cake, beer, wine
Tara Shooshani

I was absolutely shocked at how many local shops there were. While many of them just sell souvenirs and fake Adidas apparel, there are hundreds more that sell elaborate scarves, wooden handicrafts, painted masks, and some giant chandeliers that get exported out of the country. These shops tend to be really inexpensive, especially because you can usually bargain the price down to half the asking price. 

Beaches and Pools

bird, grass, water
Tara Shooshani
Even during Bali's rainy season (which actually isn't that rainy), the temperature is in the 80's and humid—perfect for slipping into your favorite bikini and hitting the water. Bali's beaches are warm, blue, and a favorite to surfers worldwide. Every hotel I stayed in had an extensive infinity pool. To top it all off, tourists often stay in giant villas that offer private pools.

Culture 

coffee, beans, beer
Tara Shooshani

A few days in Bali will expose even the most conservative traveler to its unique, welcoming customs. The people I've encountered in Bali are some of the kindest, most genuine people I've met. They are raised in a culture where family comes first and thankfulness is key.

chocolate, cake
Tara Shooshani

Scattered around the streets, cars, and shops are small containers made of banana leaves and filled with flowers and food to symbolize gratefulness (pictured above). Not only did I find these containers bright and beautiful, but also inspiring and a necessary reminder of how lucky I am. (Wow, that got deep.)  

Australian Boys

On a lighter note, Bali is the premier travel destination for Australians. And they're everywhere—roaming the streets, surfing the beaches, and eating veggie spring rolls. If Bali's food, shopping, and culture didn't convince you that Bali is heaven, the Australian accents will surely convince you. 

No promises you'll have an Eat, Pray, Love experience, but you are guaranteed an unforgettable time in Bali. There are a hundred more reasons you should visit this beautiful island that you will discover for yourself when you take a trip there.