If you hear “Georgetown” and “cupcakes” in the same sentence, you’re usually thinking of the famous Georgetown Cupcakes. But on a cute little side street, just past the canal in Georgetown, sits Baked & Wired. It’s more hip, less of a tourist destination and has a lot more options for sweet and savory treats. It is the perfect cafe for a little sit-down snack on a rainy Tuesday afternoon. What more could you ask for?

cafe

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

The cafe is split into two sections. On one side is a classic bakery lined with cupcakes under glass domes, jars filled with biscotti and a wide array of other goodies, from cookies to ice cream “sammies” and bread loaves. On the other side of the wall is the coffee bar, which features a smorgasbord of coffee and tea selections, as well as five different quiches such as spinach and feta, mixed veggie and the “Manly Quiche,” which features all the meat you could ever dream of.

cafe

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

When we visited the family owned bakery café, we opted for two of the most popular cupcakes: the Strawberry Cupcake and the Tessita. The Strawberry Cupcake is a delectable, vanilla spongecake with fresh strawberry bits and a rich, pink buttercream frosting. The Tessita is a scrumptious vanilla cake with a chocolate-hazelnut frosting and a luscious dulche de leche filling. The Tessita was our favorite, especially when paired with a chai latte and a book from the book exchange the cafe has running in one of the seating areas.

After the cupcakes, we just had to try a quiche. We selected a slice of the ham and gruyère quiche, which also had caramelized onions dispersed throughout. The cheese was perfectly gooey and made up for the flaky-but-chewy pie crust.

Never fear if you’re vegan or gluten-free, Baked & Wired has you covered with lots of different baked good, including cookies, brownies, cupcakes and muffins. While you’re at it, you might as well try their Hippie Crack homemade granola with or without fruit.

cafe

Photo by Kara Schiaparelli

So the next time you find yourself in Georgetown, stop in, grab a cupcake and treat yo’self to a cozy afternoon.