Charlotte Greens

Charlotte Greens is located in UNC Charlotte's south village inside Sovi Dining Hall next to the market, you can't miss it! The new addition to campus opened this semester and features a menu of bowls with options such as rice and greens as a base and a variety of toppings including chicken, chickpeas, peppers, carrots, and delicious sauces. As a lover of all things bowls, I had to try it out and share my thoughts with my fellow Niners, so here is an honest review of Charlotte Greens. 

Setting the Scene

My first impression of Charlotte Greens was a positive one, they have a fun neon sign in one corner and plenty of booths for students to sit in. The only way to order is through the Niner Diner app, and once placed, you pick up your order in a cubby near the kitchen. The bowls come in takeout boxes, which I love because as a busy student sometimes you don't have time to wait in line and sit and eat at Sovi or Crown, so this is a quick and convenient dining option.

Food Review

While ordering the food, I wasn't too fond of the prices which start at $9 and increase to $15. I got the lowest-priced bowl for $9 called the Niner Nation Bowl and I was disappointed when I opened my box to find plain rice, with about 3 pieces of steamed broccoli, roasted chickpeas, and chopped bell peppers. To be honest, it didn't look like a $9 bowl, and it wasn't worth the money to me because other bowl restaurants, such as Cava, are the same price and you get much more food that taste's better than Charlotte Greens in my opinion. The bowl was very plain, but once I added my green goddess dressing, I'll admit it was much better. To be fair, the bowl also came with curry but I opted out of the curry, so keep that in mind if you'd like to order the Niner Nation bowl. My friend Jenna ordered a more expensive bowl priced at around $14 called the Pickaxe Bowl and it came with a bed of leafy greens with avocado, black beans, shredded carrots, and pickled red onions with grilled chicken. I tried a bite and it didn't taste bad, it was just a small portion for $14. If you're a more picky eater, Charlotte Greens offers a build-your-own-bowl option as well. I asked Jenna what she thought about her experience at Charlotte Greens, "I think they have the right idea by providing more healthy options, but it's very overpriced for what you get". Needless to say, we both left pretty disappointed and I don't think I'll be back. Overall, I was unimpressed with the portion size, quality of the meal, and pricing. However, the convenience of the location, take-out option, and healthy options are very enticing and I suggest this location to busy students and those trying to eat healthier. I think that there are much better options on campus for a quick and hearty meal such as Salsaritas, Burger 704, and the sandwiches in the market which are filling and only $4. We all know DB runs out pretty quickly so I suggest going elsewhere if you're trying to save money, but if you do give it a try send us a message and let us know what you think on our Instagram @spoon__uncc. For a full list of dining services at UNC Charlotte, click here.