I'm going to be completely honest: my greatest fear about studying abroad in Argentina was not for my personal safety or about adapting to the culture or language. It was the food. I was a vegetarian going to Argentina, a country known for its beef. I had been warned by others who had visited that I would have a difficult time adapting in such a meat-heavy culture. For someone who thinks about food 90% of the time, this news was devastating. 

Low expectations prepared me for pleasant surprises like fresh fruit and vegetable markets on nearly every block and specialty stores carrying favorites from back home like peanut butter and hummus. Though I've been pleasantly surprised by Argentinian food thus far, there are some foods I miss dearly from America. 

Eggs for Breakfast

omelet, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
Msu Spoon

The average Argentine prefers their breakfasts sweet instead of savory. The only role the egg plays at the breakfast table is as an ingredient in a scone or slice of pie. 

Bagels

bagel, bread
Hannah Bibbo

Restaurants in Buenos Aires serve bread in just about every other form besides the coveted bagel. There's just something about bread when it takes a radically different, uniquely delectable form when it's shaped into a circle and missing its center. 

Healthy Snacks 

chocolate
Hannah Daly

Veggie straws, pita chips, Skinny Pop, almond butter, granola bars, Naked juice drinks, those pretzel nuggets with peanut butter in the middle... Need I say more? 

Chipotle (and other US chains)

meat, sauce, pepper, vegetable, rice
Heather Harris

It's difficult to face the harsh reality that the nearest Chipotle burrito bowl is being consumed a couple thousand miles from where I am sitting. Sigh. 

Spicy Food

salsa, cayenne, vegetable, pepper, chili
Dea Uy

Though I feel it's unfair to brand Argentine cuisine as flavorless, the spicy food scene is severely lacking in Buenos Aires. I nearly cried with joy the first time I saw a bottle of Tabasco sauce, and then immediately doused my salad with it. 

The Grocery Store

vegetable, peach, apple
Cherie Mak

Sure, porteños have their Disco, Coto, Dia Market, or Carrefour, but none of these Buenos Aires-brand "super" markets carry nearly the number of options your average United States supermarket has. This is not to say that I believe we need 10 brands of boxed pasta to choose from, but some friendly competition on the shelves would be nice. 

Butter

dairy, cheese, margarine, butter, dairy product, milk
Photo by Kristin Arbutina

Living without this staple US "food" is probably for the butter... I mean for the better. Argentinians prefer their tostados with a creamy, cheese-like spread instead of our greasy, golden favorite. 

Gratuitous Water

lemonade, water, lemon
Caroline Liu

To order water or not to order water, that is the question. Is it worth 40 extra pesos for that tiny glass? I am still undecided. 

Studying abroad in Argentina has its delicious share of foodie perks! I love the cheap and delicious empanadas, and not to mention the charming cafés on every block. I have to admit though, I'm excited to return home to circular bread products and scrambled eggs in the good old USA.