Just a short 10 minute drive from UCI, Moulin Bistro sits in a center where basically every other storefront bears some French name. Juliette. Pain de Mie. Haut something-or-other. Quelque chose quelque chose boutique. At Moulin itself, much of what you sit on and eat off of was actually imported from France. If you’re lucky, you could be fully surrounded by actual French people speaking French. The only thing that’s missing is that vague yet pervasive sense of ennui, but since when does Newport Beach have any of that?

Steak-Frites

Moulin Bistro

Photo by Valentine Bratoff

In one word – legit. The day I came here just happened to be Bastille Day, and the plat du jour just happened to be steak-frites. A dish of relatively few components, but every part was excellent. The frites were deliciously fried; just as good as any frites I had in Paris. The steak, a hanger steak, had just a blush of pink in the middle, as is proper for the cut. The shallot sauce was, of course, perfect with both the frites and the steak. Even the salad was great, which is rare to find.

Crêpe Complète

Moulin Bistro

Photo by Valentine Bratoff

My friend’s lunch. Perfectly executed crêpe – not overdone on the outside yet fully melted Emmental cheese inside, as well as a similarly perfectly executed fried egg with housemade ham. And finally that same great salad.

Split a bottle of Badoit (the best French bubbly ever) and you’ll have yourself a wonderful lunch.

Moulin Bistro

Photo courtesy @moulinbistro on Instagram

On your way out, grab a coffee and a little something at the boulangerie.

Moulin Bistro’s Website / Facebook / Instagram / Yelp

Moulin also has a Laguna Beach location expected to open later this summer.